Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Pork Shoulder

Options
8 pound shoulder rubbed with mustard and McCormick's Memphis Pit rub. It's on at a 280 cook temp to shave a little time and I'm planning to pull it at an IT of 200 then FTC it for a bit. I put three chunks of apple wood in with the lump. I'm figuring 8 hours or so on the cook time......I hope.  :)

South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Looking forward to the end results! 8 hrs. may be a little optimistic but, you won't know until you see how things progress through the morning.

Happy 4th!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Thanks, Texan. It was put on early enough that if it takes longer (probably will) it's no biggie. Happy 4th! 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    I usually go 9.5 hrs on pork butts to reach 200 IT and at 280-300*f Dome .

Just my experience.

You'll be fine.  I usually try to give myself a couple hours to finish cooking before time scheduled to eat....but sometimes I work right up to the bell.

If you are in a pinch, bumping up the temp some will not hurt you.

Happy 4th !!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• lantzwr
    lantzwr Posts: 229
    Options
    Looks great.
    RobLarge BGE, Merritt Island, (Space Coast of Florida)

Boiler UP
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    3 hours in and going great. Grate is holding solid at 280 and the IT is122. I'll ride out the stall in my pool with some cold barley pops. 

• SmokingPiney
    Options
    At 190 IT 7 hours in. I let the dome temp settle at 300. The patio smells great!  :)
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    And it's pulled......
    8.5 hours start to finish. 203 on the Maverick and I probed around it with an instant read to make sure it was done evenly. It really did "probe like buttah".  :)

FTC for 2 hours and I'll pull it apart. Tonight is sandwiches and tomorrow will be Egged pulled pork pizza. It was my first semi-long cook on the Egg and I'm a happy camper.

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Mighty fine!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    Thanks! Here it is pulled. The bone pulled right out when I started pulling it apart. It tastes incredible.  :)

This is going to be a go-to cook for me from now on. 

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    That's money. Enjoy your holiday! 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    Thanks, GAT! Enjoy yours! 
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    I highly recommend pulled pork and egg in a wrap or breakfast sandwiches. Or benedict. That's what I'm having tomorrow
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Excellent!!  Love me some pulled pork
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Perrrfect !!  Love pulled pork off the egg !!  Did a couple for myself Friday night !!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !!