Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sams?

Options
If someone  already brought this up, oops sorry.   Was just in the Green Bay WI  Sams today and they had large BGE's for $850.  Am sure it included the stand  and side tables.  Seems like too good of a price...what gives?  Just curious.

Comments

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Lifetime warranty is invalid.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Warranty?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    4Runner said:
    Just curious as to why^^^^^^^^^^. Is SAMs buying bootleg BGE's or doing something underhanded? 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,617
    Options
    @SGH my guess is it isn't Sam's doing this, probably the terms handed to them.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Legume said:
    @SGH my guess is it isn't Sam's doing this, probably the terms handed to them.
    Man that's a bummer. It seems like no one would be willing to purchase them without the warranty. The warranty was the biggest factor for me in choosing BGE.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Warranty is everything.  Quality too of course.  Where do they get them from?  Really not good for the end game.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Options
    If the mothership did not want Sams to get eggs they could stop it by punishing the distributors or dealers who are selling to Sams.
  • 4Runner
    Options
    SGH said:
    4Runner said:
    Just curious as to why^^^^^^^^^^. Is SAMs buying bootleg BGE's or doing something underhanded? 
    They aren't an authorized dealer.  Clearly listed in the BGE site that discount clubs and online stores are not authorized.   Went through all this on some other thread.  Doesn't meant they won't honor the warranty but they certainly don't have to.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I think it would be ill advised and in poor taste not to honor a warranty on a product sold at a major national retailer. If there ever were an issue with the factory I would think Sam's would be on the hook for selling a product that warranty would not be honored on. Unless the egg is being with an expressed in writing no warranty on all signage and description. (For the record I'm not an attorney) 
    With this being said, I still would not buy an egg from Sam's. I value the local dealers.
  • 4Runner
    edited July 2015
    Options
    It's on the website.  Responsibility is on the buyer....not to mention it is common practice on high end items.  Just makes sense to me and I don't think it is poor taste at all...just taken care of your dealers so they aren't undercut by some huge discount store that will take a loss to lure customers in to buy other items.  
  • GregW
    edited July 2015
    Options
    4Runner said:
    It's on the website.  Responsibility is on the buyer....not to mention it is common practice on high end items.  Just makes sense to me and I don't think it is poor taste at all...just taken care of your dealers so they aren't undercut by some huge discount store that will take a loss to lure customers in to buy other items.  
    I have always enjoyed my relationship with the local dealer. Knowing I bought from him, I can walk in and look him in the eye if I have a problem. It would be awkward to me to seek help from the local guy if I bought from Sam's. I would feel cheap and dirty asking the local guy to help knowing I didn't buy from him.
  • beteez
    Options
    BGE's protection under the warranty is they require you to purchase from an authorized dealer in order to be covered. If you buy from Craigs List you are not covered as the warranty is not transferable, 
              BGE has a 3 tiered distribution chain. BGE sells to regional distributors who then sell to your local dealer. As long as you buy through this chain you are covered. Sams, Costco & BJs have all obtained eggs for sale at one time or the other. Some have said that Sams one time obtained eggs from a home a homebuilder who had planned to give an egg w/each hose. The market crashed and he unloaded the eggs to Sams as the story goes. There is speculation that some distributors are selling to the big boxes outside of the chain. Officially BGE is against this. However if they were really against it they could trace the serial numbers found in a big box could be traced to the guilty party. To the public's eye it appears that is not happening because it keeps concurring.  So BGE either does not care or they are approving the sales & they could condone it as they are moving units without the liability of warranty claims. Some on here blame the big boxes, some the distributors, Who knows who is to blame but all partys could be. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    @beteez - it is my understanding the numbers on the domes used to register are the mold numbers - in other words the number is not unique to one egg. Do I have that right? Wonder if it is possible to get an egg from an authorized dealer that has the same "identity" as one from Sam's?
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • 4Runner
    Options
    Here you go

BIG GREEN EGGS AND RELATED BGE PRODUCTS PURCHASED FROM UNAUTHORIZED RESELLERS, UNAUTHORIZED THIRD PARTIES OR THROUGH UNAUTHORIZED RETAIL CHANNELS SUCH AS DISCOUNT CLUBS AND DISCOUNT CHAIN STORES ARE NOT COVERED UNDER THE BIG GREEN EGG WARRANTY.

Please note: When a consumer purchases from an unauthorized source or reseller, even one operating as an apparently legitimate business offering products in unopened boxes with blank warranty cards, they are buying, by legal definition, used products. When someone buys from an unauthorized reseller or retailer, or from an unauthorized online reseller, they are almost always buying re-sold items without manufacturer’s warranties regardless of any statements or claims made by the seller. This is the published policy of many brands and companies, not just BGE.  Check for Authorized BGE Dealers at http://www.biggreenegg.com/locator/

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    Only warantey is Sams Satisfaction guarantee.  When it cracks you return and get your money back.  No new egg.  They state as such.  Its a high value item they use to prop up their image.  BGE sells them eggs with no warranty.  Both parties are happy.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    @beteez - it is my understanding the numbers on the domes used to register are the mold numbers - in other words the number is not unique to one egg. Do I have that right? Wonder if it is possible to get an egg from an authorized dealer that has the same "identity" as one from Sam's?
    My fault at continuing that. It used to be VERY TRUE and the molded number was in fact nothing more than the particular "slip mold" that that dome and base were made in. When imperfections occurred then the folks in the foundry in Mexico knew which slip mold was the bad one to be replaced. Recently BGE is now rubber stamping a serial number on the inside dome and base. Warning...better write that number down before you use your egg much as seeing it will soon be hidden history!

As for the source of eggs sold to Sams? The pat answer has been some "rogue dealer" blah blah bah....who seems to get by with this dumping a large large quantity of eggs every summer for just the last few years. Believe what you want, but I'd rather trust buying from a legit BGE dealer like I have for all my eggs.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • GregW
    Options
    I'm still a little cloudy on this. Is it true that each egg does not have a unique serial number?
    If this is true, I presume as long as you own another egg with a legitimate bill of sale you could obtain warranty coverage on an egg that does not have proper paper work. (I realize this is not honest, It is only a hypothetical question.)

• RRP
    Options
    GregW said:
    I'm still a little cloudy on this. Is it true that each egg does not have a unique serial number?
    If this is true, I presume as long as you own another egg with a legitimate bill of sale you could obtain warranty coverage on an egg that does not have proper paper work. (I realize this is not honest, It is only a hypothetical question.)

GregW - I was answering that while you were typing! 
  • GregW
    Options
    Thanks Ron, unfortunately I didn't know about recording the dome number. Will this nullify my warranty? 
  • RRP
    Options
    GregW said:
    Thanks Ron, unfortunately I didn't know about recording the dome number. Will this nullify my warranty? 
    I'm really not the guy to ask, BUT if you already registered yours then apparently what ever you supplied on the warranty registration was accepted! Besides it is always good to have saved your sales receipt or hope your dealer stays in business and is a reputable dealer at that!
  • beteez
    Options
    I am not coming out on one side or the other. It is up to an informed purchaser to buy at retail from an authorized dealer, from a big box w/a money back guaranty, not sure how Sams works, but Costco's is killer I took a recliner back 3 years later when the leather started turning colors, money back no questions asked. The 3rd option is buying 2nd hand with out any warranty. You can decide what each level of risk is worth. My main point was people always jump on the Big Boxes like they are breaking the law. They are not and to me it is questionable as to who to "blame".
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    beteez said:
    I am not coming out on one side or the other. It is up to an informed purchaser to buy at retail from an authorized dealer, from a big box w/a money back guaranty, not sure how Sams works, but Costco's is killer I took a recliner back 3 years later when the leather started turning colors, money back no questions asked. The 3rd option is buying 2nd hand with out any warranty. You can decide what each level of risk is worth. My main point was people always jump on the Big Boxes like they are breaking the law. They are not and to me it is questionable as to who to "blame".
    You bring up a great point. Local legit dealer sells LBGE with nest and side tables for about $1,000 with full warranty, Sam's sells same thing for $850 with Sam's money back guarantee. If you return to Sam's due to failure, they return your money, I wonder if Sam's returns to BGE for exchange? 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!