Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Burnt Ends (pics)

Options
Dyal_SC
Dyal_SC Posts: 6,054
Thx to @SGH for the inspiration on these.  Made them outta cheap boneless pork country style ribs.  Only way I'll use country style ribs from now on.  Killer.   :)

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Looks like a winner to me brother. Glad that you enjoyed them. I would much rather make burnt ends out of pork versus cubing up the best part of a brisket. Again, excellent job :clap: 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    Did you do the butter injection?

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    They certainly look killer.  Do you have a link to @SGH  for the recipe?

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • Dyal_SC
    Options
    No sir, no butter injection this time.  Couldn't find my injector for whatever reason.  :frowning:  Still turned out great though.  :)
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    Hawg Fan said:
    They certainly look killer.  Do you have a link to @SGH  for the recipe?
    Here's what @SGH wrote:
    First you can use either a Boston butt or country style ribs. However, if you use country style ribs be sure that they are cut from the butt and not from the loin. The loin cut country style ribs will dry out so avoid these when making burnt ends. Cook the whole butt or country style ribs to 170 degrees internal. I usually cook to 160 degrees but these are getting injected so take them on up to 170 degrees internal. When the meat reaches 170 internal, remove from the smoker and cube it. I like to cut into 3/4x3/4 cubes but 1x1 will work also. Once cubed, inject each cube with melted Land O Lakes butter. Place the injected cubes into a pan and sprinkle with more rub and continue to cook. I do not cook them to a finish temp. I cook them to the point that I like them so I recommend sampling one every so often. Once they are done to you satisfaction, eat and enjoy. When making this version of pork burnt ends, I like to sprinkle a little Worsterhire or Apple juice on the butt and rub heavily before placing it in the smoker. For rub I simply use salt, pepper and cayenne but you can use anything that you like. Just remember once you cube and inject the meat with melted butter to sprinkle the meat again with rub. If you are going to use a sauce, put it on after the second coat of rub. I like to cook these anywhere form 225-275 degrees. They turn out the very same. I hope that you enjoy these as much as we do. Good luck my friend.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • QingEsq
    QingEsq Posts: 241
    Options
    Thanks @fljoemon.  I was having trouble finding it.  @Dyal_SC made this look so good, I will have to do it.  And thanks to @SGH for the great idea in the first place.
    Always seeking the high I experienced from my first true BBQ experience.
    Downingtown, PA
    LBGE, WSM, Weber Kettle
  • SGH
    Options
    QingEsq said:
    Thanks @fljoemon.  I was having trouble finding it.  @Dyal_SC made this look so good, I will have to do it.  And thanks to @SGH for the great idea in the first place.
    I was looking for it but couldn't find it either. I posted it on someone else's thread and don't remember who's.  @fljoemon thanks for finding it and posting it my friend. I didn't want to have to re type the whole thing!! 
    @QingEsq - My pleasure to share it my friend.  Hope that everyone who try's them likes them as much as we do.  

Status- Standing by.

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Looks killer
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • SGH
    Options
    @Dyal_SC
    If you ever get the chance, try the butter injection. It gives them that little something extra. They are great either way, but the butter puts them over the top. Again, excellent job.  

Status- Standing by.

• Dyal_SC
    Options
    Will do @SGH!  I planned on injecting with a mix of butter and hot sauce, but couldn't find my injector for whatever reason.  Plan on giving that a go next go 'round.  
  • txhawkeye
    txhawkeye Posts: 279
    Options
    Appoximately how long did this take from start to finish? Thinking about giving it a go today, but not sure if I have enough time.
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Where is that pic..."Dam Son"...
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Dyal_SC
    Options
    Lol.  Thx fellas.  @txhawkeye , it took about 3 or 4 hours from start to finish.  You can always crank the heat up to speed up the process.  
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Great looking cook @Dyal_SC ! I was looking for the @SGH info a while back but couldn't find it. I need to give these a go!
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Man those look great.  I think your grill-wok-thingamajig was a nice touch to keep em crispy. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SGH
    Options
    minniemoh said:
    Great looking cook @Dyal_SC ! I was looking for the @SGH info a while back but couldn't find it. I need to give these a go!
    I'm glad that everyone enjoys the pork burnt ends. I have been wanting and meaning to do a how to post since I shared the method quite sometime back. However due to work it hasn't panned out. May try it this weekend if it's nice weather. 

Status- Standing by.

• byrne092
    byrne092 Posts: 746
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Yep those look...Awesome! Nicely done man
    XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    That settles it.  I was going going to do pulled pork this weekend for a party.  Making pork burnt ends instead. 
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • SGH
    Options
    500 said:
    That settles it.  I was going going to do pulled pork this weekend for a party.  Making pork burnt ends instead. 
    If you can, add the butter injection. I promise that it will not disappoint.  

Status- Standing by.

500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    SGH said:
    500 said:
    If you can, add the butter injection. I promise that it will not disappoint.  
    I do have an injector I haven't used yet.  Will do.  And it seems like y'all do not sauce these, correct?
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • SGH
    Options
    500 said:
      And it seems like y'all do not sauce these, correct?
    Sauce is really optional. If you have a sauce that you really like on pork, then put it to it my friend. My wife prefers them sauced. I like them either way. 

Status- Standing by.

• Dyal_SC
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I sauced mine with Cattlemans during the last 30 min or so.
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

This is first on my list once we get back from Porkopolis this weekend.

Scottie I may have to give you a call, if you don't mind.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • SGH
    Options
    Hotch said:

This is first on my list once we get back from Porkopolis this weekend.

Scottie I may have to give you a call, if you don't mind.

Anytime my friend. 228-627-5400. 

Status- Standing by.

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Man those look unreal!
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    What time and temp @Dyal_SC? These look killer! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Dyal_SC
    Options
    @johnkitchens , thx!  I kept it going around 275 dome temp.  Not quite sure on the time.  Maybe 3 or 4 hours?
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    They look very good. I want to try this soon! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's