Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just got my Amazon Echo

Options
johnkitchens
johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
My Echo came in today. So far it is a lot of fun! I am mainly just using it for the music feature, but it is really nice to tell it to play a band or a song and have it just happen. The Pixies and L7 are getting a workout! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Will have to Google
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I've Been considering. Look forward to your review 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I've been on the fence. I love "smart" technology but hate things that talk.  

For the music,  does it need to have access to a music library to start with or does it just stream from the cloud? 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    It gets the music from Amazon, Pandora, etc. it isn't anything I need, but I just wanted it.

• ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    LOVE LOVE LOVE my Echo. We use the list functions more than the music. It has changed our lives. Slightly.  But changed. 
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Loving my Echo, in addition to music, it will give me a traffic report for my route to and from work. Weather for any city I ask. News briefs. Keep a market shopping list and put the list on my phone so I can refer to it in the store. Sports scores, Pandora ... It'll tell me a joke when I'm feeling down ... The only negative is that it's not connected to Google - so questions are limited to Wikipedia.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    caliking said:For the music,  does it need to have access to a music library to start with or does it just stream from the cloud? 
    This is arbitrary, seems to depend on the artist.  When I request The Police, it plays one song only, Every Breath You Take.  Level 42, of which I've bought most of my music from Amazon, it'll play a bunch of oddball/B-side tracks, most of which I don't own.  Request Doobie Brothers, it'll play their entire catalog, and I've bought ALL my DB on vinyl, not from Amazon.  Weird.
    Being able to set an alarm for 4, 5, 6-thirty, the next morning, entirely verbally, is really cool, and customizing your news "Flash Briefing" is fantastic.

I've just received my second Echo, will be setting it up in my kitchen for music, cooking timers, and shopping lists ( plus the occasional weather report).  I really like this thing.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    We have two.  Love them.  The programming will only get better - all the processing is done on Amazon servers so the hardware is basically just a speaker, some mics with DSP, analog to digital converter and a network interface.  Amazon is constantly updating the quality and services.  Also it "learns" from you. 

A little scary Amazon has the technology to "bug" your home, but they promise not to... ;)
    Options

A little scary Amazon has the technology to "bug" your home, but they promise not to... ;)
    That is a freaky thought. Of course they could do it if they wanted to, but they would be bored very quickly by listening to us and quickly move on.