Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stupid question

Options
jabam
jabam Posts: 1,829
I have access to as much Almond wood as I want. Have used it on open pits several times for chicken and tri-tip. I have a pile of logs 2-3 inches diameter and 12 inches long. Is not a good idea to throw a log in the egg on top of the lump? Thought I would ask before I tried it. 
Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"

Comments

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Too much smoke. Cut or split into chunks.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Seems like a lot of wood, but I've never used almond. Hell, try it and let us know how it goes!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I would cut it into chunks if it was me. In the limited confines of the eggs combustion chamber, it's much easier to get chunks to produce clean smoke as opposed to splits. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• jabam
    Options
    I think I will cut down to 4" chunks. Have never used almond as a smoke wood. Just got egg a few months ago. But it always worked well on open pit. 
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • jabam
    Options
    I'm assuming I should peel off bark as well?
  • SGH
    edited July 2015
    Options
    @jabam - It is par excellent for smoking salmon.  

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    jabam said:
    I'm assuming I should peel off bark as well?
    I don't. The bark gives character if it's clean and debris free. 

Status- Standing by.

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Bark on, i use a chop saw in the shop
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • jabam
    Options
    Thanks guys!