Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Restaurant Depot Access with KCBS

Options
Restaurant Depot just opened a location near me, and I want to check it out. I know you can get a day pass with a KCBS membership, and I read on the interwebs that some folks have had problems doing this. Has anyone done this, and if so, can you go as much as you want during a year, or is it just a one day pass a year? 

Eddie

Raleigh, NC

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    You can go everyday 
  • RaleighGuy
    RaleighGuy Posts: 207
    Options
    Thanks @DoubleEgger! Thought that was the case, but wanted to make sure. 

Eddie

Raleigh, NC

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Restaurant Depot just opened a location near me, and I want to check it out. I know you can get a day pass with a KCBS membership, and I read on the interwebs that some folks have had problems doing this. Has anyone done this, and if so, can you go as much as you want during a year, or is it just a one day pass a year? 
    I just went the other day. It's was easy and smooth. I showed my card. I got a piece of paper and I bought whatever I wanted. Could come back everyday. BUT, no return policy for day passes.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options

XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that is what Heaven looks like.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    They're like Costco or Sams on steroids!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    They're like Costco or Sams on steroids!
    And with triple the perishables. 
  • RaleighGuy
    Options
    I like the looks of that! Buying my KCBS right now! 

Eddie

Raleigh, NC

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

I went to RD once, when I was a KCBS member a few years ago. At the store, the woman at the front desk didn't know what I was talking about, so I asked for a manager and they had some sort of huddle until he instructed her to give me a day pass.

It was a fun trip, but it was on the other side of town, so I haven't returned.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I've been there a couple times and have had no problem with getting a day pass.  The place is awesome and the prices are pretty good too.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    Take a jacket with you if you want to get into the meat section .. it is very cold in there. They have some coats that you can use, but it was very filthy looking at my RD in Orlando, FL
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    I went in to ask about access with the ksbs membership.  The lady asked me why I didn't join directly.  I told her my business had nothing to do with food.  she asked if I had a company checkbook with me and I said yes.  Nice lady told me to go shopping and come back in 15 minutes.  At that time she had my own RD card for me - no need to join KSBS.

Love it - As Ozzie said - I can't stop smiling when I walk into that cooler.
    Phoenix 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    blasting said:
    I went in to ask about access with the ksbs membership.  The lady asked me why I didn't join directly.  I told her my business had nothing to do with food.  she asked if I had a company checkbook with me and I said yes.  Nice lady told me to go shopping and come back in 15 minutes.  At that time she had my own RD card for me - no need to join KSBS.

It's great you can get into RD without a KCBS membership. But there are still plenty of reasons to join KCBS!!
  • blasting
    Options
    blasting said:

It's great you can get into RD without a KCBS membership. But there are still plenty of reasons to join KCBS!!
    Ah, thank you for mentioning that.  I'm not terribly familiar with the organization, but have heard nothing but good things about it.  

I was just happy to not have to apply for a day pass each time is all.  Certainly nothing against KCBS.  I still might join to take a judging class.

Phoenix 
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    blasting said:

My daughter and sil got a membership in Denver. They run a gym which has nothing to do with food or the restaurant industry but, they did have to bring in a copy of their business licence.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    How are the prices at RD? Worth the effort to go there?
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    How are the prices at RD? Worth the effort to go there?
    I found the prices to be competitive but you really do buy in bulk; generally, even more so than Sams or Costcos. Not sure I would pay for a membership (if they charged a membership fee) but for free it's not a bad deal.

Options
    blasting said:

My daughter and sil got a membership in Denver. They run a gym which has nothing to do with food or the restaurant industry but, they did have to bring in a copy of their business licence.
    It does seem like they are anxious to bend their own rules.  The lady that helped me was willing to issue off a business card.  I just gave her my company checkbook.  It's my understanding that the card is for life.

@hofstrajet  prices on certain things seem really good.  I looked at some Dexter stuff - specifically a grill scraper, and it was well under half of amazon prices.  I picked up a 7" wok spider for under 6 dollars and it is very well made.  Pork butts were 1.29.  A guy could do some damage in the meat department.  Prices are good, but there is just sooooo much.
    Phoenix 
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    fljoemon said:
    Take a jacket with you if you want to get into the meat section .. it is very cold in there. They have some coats that you can use, but it was very filthy looking at my RD in Orlando, FL
    Definitely take a coat. Wife and I went to the one in Bethlehem PA the other Saturday and nearly froze. The coats they have there are not very clean.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,156
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that is what Heaven looks like.
    I always thought this was what Heaven looks like (click full screen on top left of pic for full effect).  B)
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • beatarmy
    beatarmy Posts: 194
    Options
    I've got a KCBS membership and have gone mutlitple times.  Never once have they asked to see any proof, they just issue me a day pass and off I go.  Love the options of briskets and ribs.  WIsh there was a better way to purchase steaks besides a box of way too many.
    Franklin, TN - (1) LBGE and a cooler full of beer
  • EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    Options
    Have a KCBS card and have never had an issue.  Walk in, show the KCBS card, they give you a day pass and off you go...
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

I go there to much.

But I will say that when you have an outdoor fryer, RD is you friend. Big fries, small fries, big onion rings, small onion rings, hush puppies, breaded sliced spicy pickles and I could go on.

Like I said I go there way to much.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    blasting said:
    It does seem like they are anxious to bend their own rules.  The lady that helped me was willing to issue off a business card.  I just gave her my company checkbook.  It's my understanding that the card is for life.

I think the reason they require a business license is because they don't charge sales tax - they assume everything is going to be resold and sold on the back end.

So, really, you as the buyer (end user) are actually (technically) responsible for the sales tax (in the same way you are responsible for declaring and paying sales tax for what you buy on the internet).
    NOLA
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    blasting said:

I think the reason they require a business license is because they don't charge sales tax - they assume everything is going to be resold and sold on the back end.

So, really, you as the buyer (end user) are actually (technically) responsible for the sales tax (in the same way you are responsible for declaring and paying sales tax for what you buy on the internet).
    Uh-oh.  Is this really true?  I haven't heard of this.  Not so much an issue any more because most places charge it online now.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options

Uh-oh.  Is this really true?  I haven't heard of this.  Not so much an issue any more because most places charge it online now.  

Technically, yes, although I don't know that I've ever really heard of people doing it.  Retailers don't charge tax online when they don't have a brick and mortar presence in that state - thus they don't have a state license and don't collect that state's tax on behalf of that state's government.  That doesn't mean you aren't ultimately responsible for that tax.

That is also why when you order from somewhere like Best Buy (which has a storefront in just about every state), you will pretty much always pay tax.

Some of those rules are starting to change, because states know they are getting gypped out of a bunch of money by online purchasing, but that's basically the gist of it.
    NOLA
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    edited July 2015
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    blasting said:

I always tell them it is taxable and pay the sales tax. Since the account is tied back to me, I don't want the State Tax guy to come knocking on my door.

You won't win a sales tax audit in Texas.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • blasting
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    I think the reason they require a business license is because they don't charge sales tax 
    That's a good point @buzd504, however, I didn't provide them with a tax exempt #.   

Here in AZ at least, we as businesses are required to collect and remit sales tax or have a signed exempt form on file.  I think they must charge me tax, but now I'm really curious.  
    Phoenix 
  • RaleighGuy
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses! I am going to check it out tomorrow, and hopefully pick up a packer for Saturday. Will follow up. 

Eddie

Raleigh, NC

• TexanOfTheNorth
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses! I am going to check it out tomorrow, and hopefully pick up a packer for Saturday. Will follow up. 
    Good luck. Don't recall seeing packers at the RD in Buffalo a few weeks ago, just flats. Although, as others have said, it is very cold in that part of the store; which may have influenced how hard I looked. Plus, I suppose each store could be different.