Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket

Options
So I have a question. I bought a brisket to cook for Canada day tomorrow and its larger than we really need with only the wife and the kids (2 under 4). If I cut off say half of the flat and grind it for burgers will I need to add fat or will it be good as is? Or will some of the trim fat be enough or the hard fat on it be good for burgers. 

Thanks
Steve

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    you shouldn't need to add any fat. I would trim off any hard fat and leave the fat cap on when you grind it. You will have some nice fatty burgers.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    I would just plan to eat the whole thing over a few days.  Watch the Aaron Franklin "the brisket" video for a good lesson on trimming and his "payoff" video for the slice procedure.  I cook packers for SWMBO and I and enjoy that beef goodness for several days. FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    I ground (or is it grinded?) 3 flats for the TO Eggfest a couple of weeks ago. Definitely take any hard fat off but there's no need to add addtional.

I also suggest just running it once through a coarse grind.

Ground brisket is the only way we do hamburgers anymore.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    BTW, welcome to the forum. In what part of Canada are you?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I've cooked them before and am getting better at it just I'm not a leftover fan.

If it will work out to grind it and it won't be dry that's the way I will go. So I don't have to eat it for a week and can make other stuff instead. 

I've watched all the videos and read about every thread here since I have gotten my egg 3 yrs ago just not a big poster. 

I'm not that far from you, I'm in Ingersoll Ontario so just to the east of London on the 401
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    Welcome to the forum!
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    Options
    There are some good chili recipes on here as well that use brisket if you are into that sort of thing
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Chilis good for leftovers, but that ground brisket makes for great ground beef. Burger, spaghetti, etc...