Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tonight's Cook

Options
dldawes1
dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
Reverse-Seared Honey Glazed Pork Chops with Hawaiian Salsa Topping !!!  Patti's On The Lake at Kentucky Lake  was an inspiration this weekend !!!  Salt-crusted baked potaoes on the side.

Using some of my Sweet Sugar Maple wood from Massachusetts sent to me from CHILLIWILLIS through the Forum Exchange !!!! Finished pics to follow !!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

Comments

• Mantoothian
    Options
    Whoa momma, its almost dinner time for me. Thanks for making me completely ravenous.
    Denver, CO
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    That's going to be a great dinner!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    I don't cook pork chops too often, only my 3-4 times on the egg. I was never very good with them on the grill BBGE (Before Big Green Egg) and I guess I'm still gunshy !!!

We'll see what happens....I've got a powerful show to follow from this weekend eating at Patti's !!!!  SWMBO has not quit talking about how good they were there !!!!  I had to show her who's the GRILL KING in her life !!!!!

LOL !!!!

• jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Options
    nice! 
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Donnie, you've been killing it lately with your cooks.  Thanks for sharing!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    Options
    Oh man, that looks amazing! I haven't done pork chops in a while, something tells me this post is going to change that. Glad to hear you used some of the sugar maple on these.... I LOVE sugar maple smoke on pork. 
  • Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    Options

Seriously, man.  You can burn!

Nice job.

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Okay, now I know what you did during your down time ... obviously you took a professional cooking class!!!  Very good looking cook my friend.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• dldawes1
    Options
    Thanks folks,,,,but it all came from the guru's here on the forum,,,,a great bunch of patient longsuffering teachers !!!!!

ChillyWillis Man dude, you made my day when I opened your box of goods,,,,and yes, I could smell and taste the sugar maple smoke. Some of the chops were thin (SWMBO likes them that way) and mine were about 1"thick. I'm not sure if I captured the smoke ring in the thick chop, but it was there. The thinner chops were a reddish tint all the way through. 

I think I'm gonna be addicted to the Sugar Maple and Rockwood combo !!!!

I think I'll try my Maple glazed chops next time with the wood you sent.

Thanks again,

DD

• QingEsq
    QingEsq Posts: 241
    Options
    Looks great.  Very nicely done.
    Always seeking the high I experienced from my first true BBQ experience.
    Downingtown, PA
    LBGE, WSM, Weber Kettle
  • byrne092
    byrne092 Posts: 746
    Options
    That sounds and looks awesome. I need to try that salsa!
    XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO
  • ChillyWillis
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'm not sure if I captured the smoke ring in the thick chop, but it was there. The thinner chops were a reddish tint all the way through. 

I think I'm gonna be addicted to the Sugar Maple and Rockwood combo !!!!

I think I'll try my Maple glazed chops next time with the wood you sent.
    Oh, that smoke ring came through in the picture! Rockwood and sugar maple is one of my all time favorite combos. It really lets that sweet smoke sing.

Other things I like using it on (aside from chops) are ribs, tenderloins/loins, and pork belly/bacon. Personally I'm not a huge fan of it on butts because after the pull and mix I feel like you lose that sweetness in the mix of flavors (but maybe that's just me). 

I'm so glad you and yours are enjoying what I put together for you. It's truly gratifying on my end to see what I sent out turn up in an end product like this. A tip of the hat to you on this cook... It's good to know that box found a good home!
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    Fantastic looking meal there - unreal.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Looking good! 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Looks great! One question, what's on the chops in the last picture, butter?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    @dldawes1 ... help me on the sugar maple smoke wood.  Is that from maple trees grown for maple syrup?  What's the smoke flavor most like?

• ChillyWillis
    Options
    @Jeepster47 Yes, sugar maple is wood from the trees that produce maple syrup. It's a mid strength wood, slightly less strong than oak or hickory. The flavor profile is (probably not so surprisingly) very sweet. It's the sweetest smoke  I've come across. It's delicious on most anything but excels on pork. 
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @ChillyWillis ... thanks ... hmmm ... there's a maple syrup facility in Funks Grove, IL, that's not that far away.  Going to have to call them.  Damn, I'm going to need a bigger basement if this cooking stuff keeps up.

• dldawes1
    Options
    TexanOfTheNorth ...Yes, honey butter.  I don't know what it did...but it did it good !!!! I noticed the restaurant I went to this weekend had done it that way, so I tried it out.  It is a standard procedure from now on for my chops !!

• IPASooner
    IPASooner Posts: 208
    Options
    Really awesome stuff buddy...thanks for sharing!
    LBGE

Marblehead, MA