Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT(ish) - 72 hour Sous Vide Beef Short Ribs

Options
Hello All,
I've been wanting to try this recipe for a couple of years now and it's probably the main reason I bought my Anova sous vide. 72 hours at 143 F then seared on a nuclear egg. Texture and taste were outstanding; not falling apart, but able to cut with a fork! Served over a creamy Parmesan polenta with roasted root vegetables and all day mushrooms on the side. Made a red wine reduction to go over the top and the salad was all fresh picked from a friend's garden. This was a nice meal; will certainly do it again!

After all was done I took the bones and scraps and cooked them down with all of the liquid that was released during the SV process. I planned to save this as beef stock but ended up pulling he bones out and using it to make an insane batch of chili beans (yes, I know, I know...). Served this over some of the left over polenta and topped it with fried potatoes. We've been happy dinners for the last several days!!!

Cheers all -
B_B
Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Congrats,

My 1st SV cook also was 72 hr ribs. Likewise, the texture and tenderness was unlike anything I'd ever had. Perhaps more delicious than any beef I'd previously made.

SV & Egg, great pair.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Did you season the beef in any way before putting it in the Sous Vide?  I have done this recipe twice and it was a miss both times. 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Thanks @gdenby, it was really nice! Will definitely do it again!

@Thatgrimguy, I did not season ahead of time, although next time I certainly will! I thought it could use a little more seasoning. That being said, I seasoned the heck out of it with S&P before searing and that seemed to help a lot. I left these ribs in the cryo from the store for simplicity, but next time I will season and reseal.

It was an extraordinarily 'beefy' tasting beef preparation. I had some friend say it was the best thing I've cooked so far and they eat a LOT of my cooking.

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI