Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temp control for caveman

Options
Simcan
Simcan Posts: 287
edited June 2015 in Beef

Hi all.  I am planning on a caveman steak cook this week, just for fun.  If I get thick steaks, should I do a reverse sear, meaning of course should I bring it to temp (I go 110), then get the coals red hot and drop the steak on them for a minute or so a side to sear?

Seems like most folks just drop the raw steak on the coals, but for a thick steak I am wondering how to manage getting the right degree of doneness?

Or is it a matter of getting the right steak (say, a 1.5" T-bone) for the technique?

Finally, anyone use this for flank steak?

Thanks!

Toronto ON

Comments

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Reverse sear for a thick steak.  Flank steak works well caveman, just too thin to bother with reverse sear, go direct on the coals.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    When you caveman a thick steak, the meat actually cools down the coals and the net effect is that the brown strip next to the seared surface is quite small compared to a traditional cook. It's not wall-to-wall medium rare like a perfectly executed reverse sear - but it's pretty close and works well for me even on a thick steak. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX