Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Laid Plans

Options
  • I have been craving ribs.  I had the ribs and was ready to make them yesterday, but, alas, Mother Nature did not cooperate.  My egg is not covered and I don't have a smokeware cap, so I decided to postpone until today.  I had an event in the morning, slated to end around 12:30, but figured that if I got the ribs on by 2, they would be ready for a late dinner.  My event ran long, and I didn't get back to the house until 2.  Worse and much more importantly, my sous-chef/better half/SWMBO just found out that her favorite cousin passed, so she understandably was in no mood to help and spent a good deal of the day talking to loved ones.  Then, after 15 years, our washing machine conked out in mid cycle this afternoon sending us scrambling.  While I figured out what to do with the soapy, wet clothers and the water in the machine, my better half quickly did some internet research and decided to replace the washer and dryer (which is also showing its wear after 15 years), so off we went to the appliance store to deal with that.  When all was said and done, we did not get settled back in until this evening.  So, we went simple with some dogs and salmon burgers (sorry, no pics).  But I am still craving those ribs.  Since I work from home, I prepped the ribs for cooking tomorrow. I can't wait!   
Always seeking the high I experienced from my first true BBQ experience.
Downingtown, PA
LBGE, WSM, Weber Kettle

Comments

• ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Dang. Had those days. Sounds like you are taking it in stride. Really sorry about the cousin. And washers and dryers are like tires. You don't know how bad you need em till they go.
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Bet those are going to be delicious!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Worth the difficult wait for sure!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Life!
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    @Qingesq Sometimes life just get's in the way. Hope today is back on track.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • QingEsq
    QingEsq Posts: 241
    Options

Thanks guys.  Today was a better day.  And although life still got in the way of the timing of my ribs, I got them on at 6:30 tonight.  I should be pulling the final product off the egg shortly, but here are a couple of status shots.

I tasted some morsels before foiling and they were delicious.  So far, the cook has gone perfectly (he types while knocking on wood).  I am sure that I could make better ribs, but I honestly can't think of how.  I am so looking forward to these ribs.  With fingers crossed and stomach growling!

Downingtown, PA
    LBGE, WSM, Weber Kettle
  • QingEsq
    QingEsq Posts: 241
    Options
    Ribs served at 11:30 PM.  I will pay for it tomorrow, but, honestly, they were the best ribs I have ever had.  I feel like I just threw a no hitter with these ribs.  I am sure that there is something that could be improved upon, but I don't know what. 

Downingtown, PA
    LBGE, WSM, Weber Kettle
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    Fine looking ribs there, @QingEsq .
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Great job on the ribs.  I could go for a whole rack right now for breakfast 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    QingEsq said:
    Ribs served at 11:30 PM.  I will pay for it tomorrow, but, honestly, they were the best ribs I have ever had.  I feel like I just threw a no hitter with these ribs.  I am sure that there is something that could be improved upon, but I don't know what. 

Maybe eating at 11:00pm instead of 11:30pm? :i_dunno: 
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    WOW! They look great! BTW, a little heavy foil works wonders for a rain cap over the daisy wheel. I have cooked in a full on Tropical Storm on my egg outside. Yeas, I got soaked, but the food was awesome.
    In Maryland