Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trial By Fire - Pork Butts (Boneless)

Options
Had a get together for a couple dozen friends and decided to give pulled pork a try on the Egg.  Did a bit of research and decided to give the BBQ Guru a try. Purchased a lovely green guru and the Pit Bull fan with the ceramic adapter.  Found a terrific world famous recipe and went for the gold!
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/chris-lillys-six-time-world-championship-pork-shoulder-52415241
Started the pork (3 - 6.5 to 7 lb boneless butts) after injection and rub at approximately 11:00 PM on Friday night.  Set the guru for 250 Pit temp and 200 meat temp.  At about 10:30 AM Saturday I pulled the butts off and wrapped them tightly in foil (meat was around 177 F). Three hours later the pork was 203 F, so I pulled it off and put it in a small insulated cooler to "rest". Pulled the pork an hour later and it was absolutely fantastic. Two of the guests have decided they need to purchase an Egg in spite of the fact that they have off-set smokers. My XL BGE "smoker" only used about 10 lbs of lump charcoal with a side of cherry wood and hickory.  Oh, I and with that 10 lbs. I also put about 10 lbs. of boneless/skinless thighs on the Egg after the pork was done....they also turned out amazing!!   Love my new EGG!!!

XL BGE Owner/Operator
Millersville, PA

Comments