Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's your favorite leftovers off the Egg?

Options
Ribs for me ... seems like they get almost better after a day or two in the fridge 
My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    For me it's any kind of chicken.  Anything pork for me is never better than right off the egg.  If you have tricks for making pulled pork or ribs as good as same day please share with the newbie.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Pulled pork that has been vacuum sealed and reheated at 160 deg in the sous vide bath.
    Can't tell its not right off the egg.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Agree, vacuum sealed is the key with pulled pork.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    More often than not, I do not have left overs. My wife is a woman of large appetite. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    I do not have a sous vide machine, but if I put vacuum sealed ribs in boiling water for say 10 minutes would that work?
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I don't have a sous vide either, simmering water works fine.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Going with Beef Ribs
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • bgebrent
    Options
    @GregW and @JRWhitee, thanks for the idea. I have a food saver and will give it a go!  @SGH, you're the man and you're wife is the queen!  I hope to meet you some time, and your bride.  Thanks for all the info.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Pulled pork by far!  Taquitos, nachos,  tacos, sammies.... Very versatile.   We just stick in the micro, kids don't care and I ain't picky. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I have no favorite leftovers. Vegetables aren't bad, but I almost never cook them on the egg. I eat leftover meats because I would rather cook once and eat several times than have to cook again and again. It's never as good, but at least I don't have to cook again for a few meals.

That is especially true for pulled pork. Doesn't matter how it is reheated, it's just not the same. I even called The Skylight Inn (very well known North Carolina Q joint) once and asked them what they did. They said they served it fresh cooked, that pork barbecue could not be reheated to their standards. Mine either.

As for ribs, I rarely cook them, but when I do, there are no leftovers. Which is why I rarely cook them.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• GregW
    Options
    Yes, having a Sous Vide is not really necessary, but vac sealing is.
    I wouldn't boil...simmer is all that's needed.
    Before I learned the vac sealing trick I hated reheated pulled pork, Now I can't tell the difference.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    @yolksonyou, you reup pulled pork 2 days later and it's the same as 1 hour off the egg?  I'm trying to reward my OR team and didn't think you could rock PP if not same day. I look forward to your advice.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Thank you @GregW!
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @bgebrent if you can vac seal and heat in warm water, it's darn close. If I were serving a crowd and couldn't serve fresh, that's what I'd do. If you can cook and FTC or hold in warm oven and pull fresh, that's best. 

My my boys LOVE pulled pork even out of the microwave, so for us that works. 

Alternatively, you could sauce in a crock pot if everyone is happy with pre sauced Q. 
  • jabam
    Options
    Do you put vac sealed ribs in frozen and how long does it take to warm up in simmering water
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I never use the term "left overs" but instead "make aheads". With the BGE then what we don't eat at night I always enjoy for some lunch later on in the week!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    edited June 2015
    Options
    +1 on the vac bag and water. It was a game changer for me.  I used to toss out a lot of pork because leftover pork sucked. 

It works great for brisket also. 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Thank you @theyolksonyou, I very much appreciate your advice!  Itll be vac seal and reheat in warm water. Plus homage BLTs.  Life is good. Thank you again.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    bgebrent said:
      @SGH, you're the man and you're wife is the queen!  I hope to meet you some time, and your bride.  
    I hope to meet you someday too my friend. I will get my wife to put on a eating exhibition and you will understand why I'm so skinny and never have leftovers. That girl can really eat ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    @bgebrent one tip for vac seal pp is to par freeze so that you don't suck out the moisture. Put the bag unsealed in for 30 min or so, then seal. 
  • GregW
    Options
    jabam said:
    Do you put vac sealed ribs in frozen and how long does it take to warm up in simmering water
    To reheat from 33 deg ( you are going to be lower) it will take 1 hr 7 min if you simmer at 150 deg.
    They will be at 150 deg in 1 hr 7 min

I don't have the option to start with the ribs lower than 33 deg on my app
  • bgebrent
    Options
    @SGH, now we must meet!!  My queen out eats me routinely!  Wouldn't trade her for world peace but I do my best to clean my plate.  We're in Atlanta.  If ever you need a place to rest here never hesitate.  We so appreciate and enjoy what you serve.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    @theyolksonyou, great tip!  Thank you for that tip on the par seal!
  • jabam
    Options
    GregW said:
    jabam said:
    To reheat from 33 deg ( you are going to be lower) it will take 1 hr 7 min if you simmer at 150 deg.
    They will be at 150 deg in 1 hr 7 min

I don't have the option to start with the ribs lower than 33 deg on my app
    Thanks I'm going to precook some ribs and serve at work for an employee that is leaving. That will work perfect. 
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    Ribs and pulled pork are my favorites. Although, I cooked a T-bone yesterday that was as good then as today.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • nth78
    nth78 Posts: 154
    Options
  • bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    Options
    Brisket hands down.  My wife actually prefers it cold, I swear she eats half the packer the next day.  A 12lb brisket only lasts two days in our house and there are only two adults, tho my 16 month old has quite the appetite as well
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    For us, it has to be these monster bone in pork chops I had gust done. Used evoo and my own dry rub, indirect low and slow, them basted with teriyaki, pineapple juice, Worcester sauce and a couple shots of tobasco. Followed by a reverse sear. Delicious and as juicy today as when served. This will be done again.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Leftovers are one of the great unsung benefits of cooking on the Egg.

Butt, Ribs, Burgers, Wings, Spatch, Pork Tenderloin, hell, even FISH was great said SWMBO.

New Albany, Ohio 

• buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    Options
    Wait.  What about cold pizza for breakfast? :p
    Lawrenceville, GA