Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cowboy Lump. Y'all got to be kidding me.

Options
SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
Long before I actually joined this forum, I read the forum. There has always been discussions and debates over lump. A while back, I even did a post on Rockwood and Ozark Oak myself. With that said, I had a bag of Cowboy in the loft that has been there for over a year. I thought maybe I was wrong. Maybe all lump was actually the same. Maybe Uncle Apple had brain washed me into believing that OO and Rockwood was better when in fact it really wasn't. I thought I would test this theory and see if I had fallen for marketing hype. Well let me save you the suspense. Cowboy was awful a year ago and it was still awful today. I will give it this. This bag did have bigger and more consistent size pieces. But that's where it ends. Upon lighting, it smelled like medicine. I ran the egg at 400 degrees for 45 minutes and it still stunk. After this small cook this was the rocks I found in less than 5 pounds of lump. Cowboy is not even in the same ball park as OO and Rockwood. I will gladly keep paying the premium price for premium lump. I think I will include the rest of this bag of Cowboy in my elfsters gift ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options

I tried 1 bag also and I know exactly the 'medicine' smell you said. Nasty.

I didn't even use the remaining to do a clean burn. When the fire was out, I cleaned out all lump and threw everything away. never again!

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    Take it back or else!  Cowboy is the BEST and you know it!

• cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    Im not a lump expert on lump but that is alfull  up here in the GWN i like the maple lump i can get up here and that a lot of rocks for that amount of lump
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Glad I've never used it!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    The worst part is if you have to get the food cooked you know it's picking up some lousy flavor. Bummer!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    Options
    It's the only lump I WILL NOT use. Royal Oak gets a bad wrap around here from some folks, but IMHO it's much better than Cowboy. I can't believe how many rocks you pulled out of that bag!!!!

I'd say if you have any other bags around use 'em for a clean burn. 
  • Legume
    Options
    btw, every time I go to Costco, I swear the pile is exactly the same, I don't think anyone buys it even at $18/40lbs
  • SGH
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Glad I've never used it!
    You are fixing to get half of a bag ;)

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Legume
    Options
    I think you need a clean burn after cowboy
  • Bentgrass
    Bentgrass Posts: 443
    Options
    Just what I wanted to hear. Just bought 3 bags at 9.99 /bag.
    1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.
  • EggDan
    EggDan Posts: 174
    Options
    Wow that is a lot of rocks! The label says "now longer lasting".  Not sure what they did...
  • SGH
    Options
    cook861 said:
    Im not a lump expert on lump but that is alfull  up here in the GWN i like the maple lump i can get up here and that a lot of rocks for that amount of lump
    Brother in the 300 pounds of Rockwood and the 100 pounds of Ozark Oak that I have burned to date, I can tell you with God as my witness that I never found 1 rock. Not 1 my friend. This ended all doubt in my mind about the lump debate. With Ozark Oak sadly gone, Rockwood now stands alone and unchallenged at the top of the mountain. I could have dealt with the rocks, but that medicine smell was sickening. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    EggDan said:
    Wow that is a lot of rocks! The label says "now longer lasting".  Not sure what they did...
    Rocks last a lot longer than lump ;)

Status- Standing by.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I had Cowboy once. Just once. It was filled with 6x6 parquet floor pieces, not even completely charcoaled. Tossed that mess out, never even lit the first burn. Bag smelled like formaldehyde when opened, honestly the worst I had ever bought in my life. Trust me I have bought bad, but nothing like that.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    As soon as I bought my egg, the owner told me, "Don't buy Cowboy Lump." Went by CostCo after that and Cowboy was all they carried. I didn't buy any.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    Options
    @Legume which Costco is that?  They seem to be phasing out the "premium gold" brand and replacing it with this "southern style" brand.

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• Legume
    Options
    South Austin.  They used to have Stubbs in 40 lb bags and it seemed to be fine, but it was gone just after my second bag and that was a while ago.
  • LDR
    LDR Posts: 414
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I've been spoiled with Ozark Oak, but I'm down to 22 bags.  Where's the best place to order Rockwood, since I've never seen it in central Arkansas?
  • Legume
    Options
    The only bag of cowboy I ever bought was from a feed store about 18 mos ago, no idea if it was southern style or premium gold or what.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Costco and Sams frustrate me, as soon a I get used to buying a certain product they stop carrying it.
    I seem to get better consistency on product selection from the restaurant supply places like Sysco. They know they have to maintain the brands they carry. Restaurants don't like substitutions.  
  • Legume
    Options
    RD here has huge bags of Lazzari.  I haven't tried it but will probably pick one up next time I'm up there.
  • SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    Options
    Last batch of premium gold came in boxes....

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    You're burying the lead. 

You have a BGE?
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Trixie_Belle
    Trixie_Belle Posts: 163
    Options
    Thanks for the review.  I'll stick with BGE brand...for now. 
    BGE novice...A Southern Belle living in Seattle.  
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Legume said:
    RD here has huge bags of Lazzari.  I haven't tried it but will probably pick one up next time I'm up there.
    I bought one of those at Cash&Carry, $14.97 for 40#, have not opened it yet, let me know how your's is. 

@SGH - on the bright side they are at least big rocks, they are very clean and they are "organic" no pieces of used asphalt.....it real stinks for a long time..
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Legume
    Options
    You're absolutely right!  From this point forward, I will only refer to it with due reverence as Reagan lump or John Wayne lump.

I probably still won't buy it, but...'merica!
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Hating cowboy is so un-American.  Sure, it makes food taste like it cooked on a flare at Norco Refinery while fractionally distilling or fracking a tank of liquid ass, but burnin' oil is as patriotic as it gets.  Perfume of progress!  You commie hippies want your "smoke" to taste like some kinda natural "wood" incense.  Just smother your food in patchouli oil and shut your hippy traps. ;)
    Not on my Tofu with bean sprouts!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i use cowboy weekly, sgh, thats an older bag, the new stuff looks to be pitch pine, full logs and limbs with the bark still on, about a third of the lump is not lump but still hardwood. =) try some of the new stuff , it smells bad and looks worse
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it