Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

first brisket

Options
DieselkW
DieselkW Posts: 894
Father's day present, a full packer from a butcher's counter. She said, "I'll be right back" just before noon today, and came home with a 17 pounder.

I gotta tell you, this is intimidating for me. Cut off some fat from the side, trimmed excess. Leaving the cap as is.

Rub: brown sugar, paprika, dried onion, black pepper, Dizzy Pig River, Lowry's.

Let that sit on the cutting board for a couple of hours, I want this entire brisket at 75f when I put her on tonight. I'm planning on 15 hours before I start checking for tenderness. Around noon tomorrow.

I have a cooler, blankets, and foil for a four hour rest.

Quick measure, this big boy is too long - I have to cut off 6 inches.

Using grape wood, mahogany, and hickory.

Anyone near Indianapolis tomorrow is welcome for dinner, I will have lots of brisket to share. PM me for address.

Pictures when I get them off my phone onto the hard drive.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    Enjoy the ride! 
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Relax and enjoy the ride.  Check the Aaron Franklin "payoff" you tube video for the info on how to slice.  That said, next time you have one that is too long, toss it over a brick or roast rack til the shrinkage takes over.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    +1 with @lousubcap regarding the brick (wrapped in foil) or rack... if you have not already cut the 6" off.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.