Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Mini Max Cook at 9,094 feet

Options
stemc33
stemc33 Posts: 3,567
1st Mini Max cook today at 9,094 feet above sea level in the Bighorns. Decided to go with a summertime favorite. Firebox loaded with Ozark Oak. Egg fired up a few minutes before 5 o'clock. Caught the temp on the way up but it kept climbing as I kept closing the bottom vent. No DFMT.

Temperature finally quit climbing and stabilized at 410° when the bottom vent was less than a 1/4".

This is going to be a great cooker.

Temperature at home was a sweltering 80°. Temperature on the mountain was in the 60's with a light breeze and dropped to mid 40's by the time we left.  Couldn't ask for a better day.. Here's today's pics. 

Steven
Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
two cotton pot holders to handle PS
Banner, Wyoming

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Damn that view.  Beautiful.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Awesome!
    Options
    Nooooiiiiiiiiiiicccce!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Beautiful country.  Looks like a fella might be able to bump into an elk or 2 up there.
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Truly stunning... Great pics and love the mutts...
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Love the pups!

Nola is probably a cat person.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Wow... I'm jelly. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • mgd_egg
    mgd_egg Posts: 476
    Options
    Beautiful shots!
    Lg & MM BGE, Humphrey’s Battle Box | Palatine, Illinois  
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Outstanding MM maiden voyage! Beauty of a view in the foothills. 
    "Temperature at home was a sweltering 80°. Temperature on the mountain was in the 60's with a light breeze and dropped to mid 40's by the time we left." Yep I'm jelly :lol: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Beautiful. I read a lot of C J Box books based in the Bighorns. Thanks for letting me see them for real. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Sweltering at 80 degrees?  On behalf on everyone in the South, you've got to be kidding me! 
  • DinnerIsComing
    DinnerIsComing Posts: 63
    edited June 2015
    Options
    @DoubleEgger I know! My Florida blood is screaming "Ooo, 80? It's a gorgeous day outside!"

ETA: Great pictures by the way! :smile: 
    Brace yourself,
    DinnerIsComing
     XLBGE
    22" Weber Kettle
    Weber Spirit E-310 Propane Gasser
    The Webers make for nice Eggcessory storage bins!

• Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    It was 98 in the upstate yesterday, over 100 with the heat index.  I would kill for a sweltering 80 degrees. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    No end in sight! The humidity is the icing on the cake. 

• stemc33
    Options
    Thanks all. 

@Spaightlabs, There's elk. Popular hunting area and we often bump into a moose or two when we go up. 

@johnmitchell and @THEBuckeye, although we have plenty of space at the house, the dogs truly love running and exploring up in the mountains. Usually we park where a few snow patches are left and the dogs immediately run to roll and wrestle in it. Not much snow left in that spot this year. Lots of run off from the crazy weather. The ground is saturated in the Powder River Basin. 

@NPHuskerFL, not sure if your being facetious about the foothills, but 9,000 feet is up there. There's areas to get good pics of the foothills below, but it was too hazy below to get good pics. I knew when I mentioned sweltering, the people in the South would chuckle. It's a matter of perspective. Believe me, I remember the sweltering heat of the South. 

At the @theyolksonyou, I'm not familiar with the author CJ Box, the writer Craig Johnson of the Longmire series lives about 25 or 30 miles from me in Ucross. It's a town of about 30 people. I'm not familiar with the books, but my understanding is that the stories are based on the surrounding area. They have Longmire days in Buffalo, WY in July and many of the actors come to celebrate with the town. 

Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • stemc33
    Options
    @DoubleEgger, I get it, it's been along time since I've been down that way but I remember it. Doing PT and road marches sucked down there. I never in my life seen a heat stroke until I went to GA. 
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Sweltering at 80 degrees?  On behalf on everyone in the South, you've got to be kidding me! 
    It's even more funny when southerners **** and moan about temps below 40.
  • DinnerIsComing
    Options
    @Eggcelsior in Florida you can always tell who's local and who's a tourist in the winter. 40 degrees out, locals are bundled up like it's the Arctic tundra while tourists are shorts, sandals and sleeveless t-shirts. LOL
    Brace yourself,
    DinnerIsComing
     XLBGE
    22" Weber Kettle
    Weber Spirit E-310 Propane Gasser
    The Webers make for nice Eggcessory storage bins!

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Those pics are absolutely beautiful.  Thanks for sharing.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Awesome!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Beautiful photos!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    The view & cook are outstanding. Please remove the clip on your thermometer before you bend the shaft. Suggest you pull it off and toss over the side of closest mountain. 
    4 Eggs and no clips. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• QingEsq
    QingEsq Posts: 241
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Great pics.  

For my nerdy curiousity, does the cook change much at that elevation?  For example, do you keep vents open wider due to thinner air? Does lower boiling point affect the temp at which fat renders and collagen breaks down? 
    Always seeking the high I experienced from my first true BBQ experience.
    Downingtown, PA
    LBGE, WSM, Weber Kettle
  • stemc33
    Options
    @Mickey. I know..I Know..I've hit food on my large with the thermo. I just can't part with the clip. It drives me crazy not having it in a fixed position. I've seen post on clips and also how people turn the thermo so the desired temp is on top. Just can't do it. I'll probably have no choice on the MM. Not much room in there. Thanks for looking out. 

Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • stemc33
    edited June 2015
    Options

QingEsq said:
    Great pics.  

For my nerdy curiousity, does the cook change much at that elevation?  For example, do you keep vents open wider due to thinner air? Does lower boiling point affect the temp at which fat renders and collagen breaks down? 
    I'm not sure, but I don't think so for vents. Tonight's vent setting was a little more open, but I had bricks in it that probably impeded airflow. I live at about 4500 ft. and water boils at about 200° according to the ThermoPop. I  use the same as whatever the recipe calls for at the house.  Below is a pic of the thermo with the vent setting without DFMT on the mountain yesterday. I made small adjustments as the temp came up. I thought it was just going to keep climbing, but it finally settled in. I'm glad too because I left my DFMT at home after reading posts from @Mickey and @NPHuskerFL

I wish I could answer your questions, but I really never cooked much until I got the egg. Nothing to compare too. Usually eat cold food on the mountain. 

Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Great looking grub and breath taking photos brother stem. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• stemc33
    Options
    SGH said:
    Great looking grub and breath taking photos brother stem. 
    Thanks. I think I'm really going to like the MM
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I am a major outdoor enthusiast, and the primary reason why I bought my MM is to do EXACTLY as you have done. I freaking love the shots you have posted, I thank you for sharing. I have summited all 53 of the Colorado 14ers, (14000 ft plus in elevation just in case somebody reading this did not know) and many of the summits in the Alps, including Mt Blanc.
    I will tell you this, no mountains anywhere are as beautiful as we have here, and no area is as beautiful as the mountain NW. Wyoming has got to be one of the most beautiful aces on earth.
    You are a very fortunate man in many ways.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • stemc33
    Options
    Thank You @YukonRon. Congrats on the climbs. That's quite the accomplishment many times over. I realize I'm fortunate to live in this great place. I lived and traveled to many places when I was in the Army and couldn't be happier that I settled here. 
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @stemc33 definitely facetious
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL