Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Father's Day Gifts

Options
Ladeback69
Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
I am seeing some guys that are getting early Father's Day gifts and they look great and congrats.  My wife hasn't asked if I want anything and she told me she didn't want anything for Mother's Day, because money was a little tight, but when the day was over she was a little sad and said it didn't feel like Mother's Day, because she didn't even get a card from my son or a gift from me.  That will never happen again.  She wouldn't give me any ideas tell after it was over so now she has something she wanted, new pillows for her side of the bed.  I would have gotten her something if she would have just given me some ideas sooner.  She likes to wait tell the last minute to tell me I guess.  I was dropping some hints last night on some things I would like and she says what makes you think I don't already have something for you.  I said because you haven't asked me.  Now I am wondering what it may be.  I usually parlay Father's Day and my birthday together, because they are close together.  My XL was last years gift for both and its the gift that keeps on giving.  I am wanting the AR/Woo2 combo or just the Woo2 for now so I can use my wok on the egg.  Her and her family came through awesomely this last Christmas and surprised me with all my new pizza stuff, so Now I am wondering what it could be.

Am I being too shallow about it?

What has everyone else been asking for and how are they received when dropping hints?
XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    +1 with @SoCalTim- Never buy the "nothing" response.  Sets you up for the exact scenario you experienced.  That said, based on your recent track record I would say you are likely in for something you will enjoy for your BGE. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I'm a procrastinator by nature.  I was waiting for the Saturday before Mothers Day to buy flowers, cards (1 funny, 1 sentimental) & chocolates.  That day my back was so bad it hurt to do most anything.  No flowers, cards or chocolates.  Wilma was pretty disappointed.  Guess what I'm getting for Fathers Day?

Flint, Michigan
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    We are usually okay with buying our own gifts for Father's/Mother's Day so that we each get what we really want, instead of things that are meh. I'm okay with not getting something for each occasion (birthday, etc) since I'll buy (myself) a gift or what I need at some other time. But we  still surprise each other now and then. And of course there's Chrismahannukwanzakah, which is open season for self-gifts.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    caliking said:
    We are usually okay with buying our own gifts for Father's/Mother's Day so that we each get what we really want, instead of things that are meh. I'm okay with not getting something for each occasion (birthday, etc) since I'll buy (myself) a gift or what I need at some other time. But we  still surprise each other now and then. And of course there's Chrismahannukwanzakah, which is open season for self-gifts.
    I agree and that is where I was going last night, but she made it sound like she got me something.  I need to tell her to not worry about it and put it toward my birthday.  At least most of us on her are asking for something to use on our eggs so that others can enjoy the food that new toy helped us cook.  Recently I used my deep dish pizza stone I got for Christmas and it was a good first attempt and there will be more in the future.  

@SoCalTim, I know what you mean by Happy wife, happy live.  We are trying to teach our son ab out happy mom, happy life, but he hasn't gotten it yet.  My wife is great and I love you to the moon and back.  Sometimes just giving her time by herself is all she wants and I take the kid to the pool for 2 hours to do that.

@Fred19Flintstone, you may be right.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    I did this and it worked out... =)

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    My next vacation will be at Casa de Cazzy...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    you need an emengency kit, a stash of cards for all the holidays of the year, maybe a stack of scratch tickets if she likes to gamble, something from victoria secrets, whatever incidental she appreciates. i dont know how many times a freind of mine was coming home late and called his wife and said to check under the office phone for some tickets he bought . =) somehow we got screwed here anyways, mothers day is before fathers day, valentines is before steak and a bjday =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it