Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini Max Problem

Options
Hello all I could use some advice...just got a new minimax. Began assembling it and noticed that in missing a screw and nut for the cradle. No biggie since I figured I could just call Ma Ship and they'd send me a new one. 

Then, as I get further into the assembly I notice that there's a large chunk missing from the bottom of the ceramic base now it is just cosmetic in nature but as much as these things cost Id prefer an unblemished version. 

Should i I return to the store or swing by mothership while vacationing in Georgia in two weeks? Thoughts?

Comments

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Yep, swap out. I would
    Seattle, WA
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    I'd take it back to the dealer, box and all and aske for another. Warranty is one thing, but **** product out of the gate is another. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Start with returning to dealer where you bought it. They'll likely replace. Mothership for backup. Dealer should come through.  Definitely return either way. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Yep I'd take it back and ask for a new full replacement. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Take it back, but here's a question for you. Was the box unopenned when you received it? 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Royal Coachmen
    Options
    The box was unopened when I received it. The shipment arrived at the store today and the shock indicator on the box indicated no trauma to unit during shipment. 
  • Royal Coachmen
    Options
    Thanks all. Just a bummer I had it nearly assembled...guess I'll try to repackage best I can and return tomorrow. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    The box was unopened when I received it. The shipment arrived at the store today and the shock indicator on the box indicated no trauma to unit during shipment. 
    Hmmmm, a missing bolt and nut actually doesn't surprise me, BUT still is should not have happened. BUT the real issue based on what you have said is it was packaged as a damaged product and THAT should not have happened. Take it back and don't take any guff from the dealer or go elsewhere.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    My large egg had a small defect on the bottom. A small crease like the egg was set down on something before it was hardened. I never noticed it until I let a fire get away from me and shoot over 1000 degrees. It got hot enough to ignite the wood table the base was sitting on.
    The egg cracked at the point the defect was located at.
    The point I'm making is a defect is a weak place that is prone to cracking. Granted my egg cracked because of extremely high temperature.
    Fortunately the factory sent me a new base with no questions.

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Take it back. It's so frustrating when something out of the box is jacked. Even with a good no hassle warranty. Kinda deflates the excitement of getting something new. 

What at is this shock indicator you speak of?
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Royal Coachmen
    Options
    Thanks for the input folks. I am going to take back to dealer. The cosmetic defect is bothersome but the comment about the egg cracking is what concerns me. The chip is about an inch long and a quarter inch deep. 

The "shock indicator" is a small white bar that looks like a level. It is on a giant red sticker on the side of the box. If the unit suffers a drop, shock, or some other trauma during shipment the white bar will turn red. If it's red the dealer is not supposed to sell the unit. The bar on my box was white. I searched the box for the piece of the chipped egg but there was nothing inside the box. Makes me the chip occurred prior to packing. 
  • Royal Coachmen
    Options
    Spoke with the dealer today. They said bring it in and it'll get replaced no hassle. They agreed a small chip could mean big problems once that thing heats up. Thanks everyone. 
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    If I were the dealer I'd deliver the new one, assemble it, remove the old/new one and give then an Eggsessorie for their trouble. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• DutchMiniMax
    DutchMiniMax Posts: 129
    Options
    I also had a missing bold problem, my dealer send me a complete bold kit, perfect service, cant say anything about it.
    BGE MiniMax Rocks!
  • Royal Coachmen
    Options
    I'm pretty eggcited for the minimax. I think I can use it to prepare sides while main dish is on my large. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Good news Coachmen. That's the way it should work, minus the original poor QC. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    I think I got your bolts with mine, as mine had extra. Mine also has a casting flaw on the underside, BGE hq said not to worry about it and just use it. Also, my egg would not fit into the nest unless I loosened the handles. Anyone else have this problem?
  • Royal Coachmen
    Options
    What was the casting flaw? I wonder if mine had this "defect" as well. 
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    Just as you had described with yours. A chunk missing off the bottom about the same size as yours. Mine was also new out of the box. I do have a picture of mine and will post, providing I can figure how to upload it.
  • Royal Coachmen
    Options
    Just wanted to updated folks...returned mine to the dealer. No questions asked. Complete swap out for a fully assembled mini. Very friendly owner.