Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

More Questions..

Options
slantback37
slantback37 Posts: 135
I did the spatchcock chicken, and it turned out okay except for the kind of rubbery skin. I now know about the corn starch trick. Next I want to try the same thing with a turkey. I have a almost 10 Lb turkey thawing out right now. I want to try this on Saturday Morning.
Questions then.
Should I go direct, or indirect??
Now should the breast be 160, and the thigh 180??
I plan on injecting the bird, I have done this many times when ever I deep fry a bird.
What temp should I go for in the dome, and what is the Lb per hour?? Thanks
I live in Duluth, Minnesota

Comments

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Sir didn't we cover this on your "Just 2 questions" thread.. Last I remember you were going to do a pork Butt... Its possible I have that mixed up..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • slantback37
    Options
    I was, but the wife said to get rid of the turkey in the freezer first. So that is why I am here again.
  • slantback37
    Options
    Just need to know. Is the temp the same for the turkey as it is for the chicken??, and if indirect. I have 3 pieces of 1/2" steel tubing. What should I put in the drip pan??
  • xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    Turkey and chicken are same temp. 

For a bigger birds I still prefer indirect, dome temp at 375.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • slantback37
    Options
    And raise the bird even with the felt??
    As for the drip pan. Should I put anything in it??
  • xiphoid007
    Options
    Just indirect. Where ever the bird ends up with the platesetter is fine until will sometimes use a foil pan filled with celery, onion, carrots, and some chicken stock for a head start. You can use this to make gravy. Smoked turkey gravy!! Yum!!

Easy with the wood smoke though, poultry over smokes easy. One chunk of wood is enough.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    you don't need to put anything in the pan.  I'd suggest a  brine for the bird. Then inject and rub it down.  I agree with indirect and temp suggested by @xiphoid007.  Just make sure to post some photos of the cook.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• slantback37
    Options
    And the skin will be crispy with the corn starch on it??
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    The corn starch will help you out, and so will getting the bird up higher in the dome.   
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• slantback37
    Options
    Just indirect. Where ever the bird ends up with the platesetter is fine until will sometimes use a foil pan filled with celery, onion, carrots, and some chicken stock for a head start. You can use this to make gravy. Smoked turkey gravy!! Yum!!

Easy with the wood smoke though, poultry over smokes easy. One chunk of wood is enough.
    I haven't tried any wood yet. When I did my first I put in way to much, and it smelled and tasted real bad. I went and had to order a bag of that Rockwood. It seems like in the BGE ( Royal ) wood there are a lot of big chunks. In the Rockwood it has a bunch of chips.
    I needed to know though the temp for the bird. I see 375 in the dome, with 160 in the breast, and 180 in the thigh. Put the legs towards the hinge where more of the heat is. I have the Thermopop, and my 3 1/4" exhaust pipe risers. I also have the rest of the stuff ready to go.
    At 375. About how long does it take for a 9.76 Lb turkey??
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    If you're doing it indirect go by whatever cooking time is suggested on the packaging, which will probably be around 3hrs. If indirect, I'd figure up to 1 1/2 hrs. or so.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    If you're doing it indirect go by whatever cooking time is suggested on the packaging, which will probably be around 3hrs. If indirect, I'd figure up to 1 1/2 hrs. or so.

Now is that 3 hrs indirect, an 1.5 hrs for direct??
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Sorry about that. Yes. 1.5 (or so) for direct.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Thanks..
  • Bentgrass
    Bentgrass Posts: 443
    Options
    Might be too late but after doing my monster bird last week I would do it breast down the first couple hours.
    1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.
  • slantback37
    Options
    Wouldn't that blacken the skin??
  • slantback37
    Options
    Another question.. What do many of you use to start the lump?? I am looking at electric starters. There are a bunch that are straight, and a few bent. Which should I look for??
  • xiphoid007
    Options
    I use a looftlighter and love it. There are a myriad of ways to start your charcoal. I suggest trying a search for this topic. There have been several wonderful threads on starters that contain all the info you're looking for.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Not sure how to answer this...I dress to the left..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    I use a weed burner which starts if pretty fast........, but I just got a case of BBQ Dragons which should make it even faster.  It's a rechargeable clip on fan.  Going to get one charged up and try it tomorrow.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I use 91% alcohol (purchased at Walmart). Poke a small hole in the under-cap seal and squirt it in a few spots in the charcoal and toss in a match.  Lights fairly quickly and cleanly with no need for flame throwers or those smelly sawdust and wax starter cubes.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • slantback37
    Options
    Looking right now at a propane torch. Mainly because I have one in the garage..
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    Looking right now at a propane torch. Mainly because I have one in the garage..
    Propane isn't as hot as MAPP in case your torch head can take both. IOW a MAPP head can use propane or MAPP, but a propane torch can not withstand a MAPP tank.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • slantback37
    Options
    Is that the gas in the Yellow tank??
    Do you think it heats hot enough to heat some 1/4" steel red hot?? I need to take a kink out of a 1937 Ford front bumper bracket..