Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

When do YOU sauce chicken? Cooking 100 pieces soon.

Options
Thighs and legs again last night, used some corn starch with the rub (half Mickeys Coffee Rub and the other Bad Byrons), used enough corn starch where the skin was the perfect crispness, then I sauced and wrecked how crispy it was. Do you sauce right at the end, I sauced probably with 10 min left. Next time I think I will leave the sauce right off.

Cooking chicken for 50-60 next month, really want to nail down a crispy skin. Will need to cook them on 2 eggs, two tier with PS.

County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I sauce right at the end (i.e., just the last couple of minutes or so). You could always just have dipping sauce on the side if you find that saucing detracts from the crispy skin you're aiming for.

BTW, that chicken looks pretty damn tasty! 
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Great pics of your chicken
    Personally, I don't like to sauce chicken.  I prefer a good dry rub with a bit of corn starch mixed in. Nom Nom
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    Options
    ill go with no sauce next time, I have always sauced, might be the end of that. I de-skinned the thighs, scraped any fat out and put the skin back on, there was actually not very much fat at all to come off. I was surprised. But there is not much work to it, and they looked a hell of a lot better after. Not sure I will be doing that for 50+ people though. Thanks @TexanOfTheNorth @jaydub58
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Sauce and crispy do not mix. If you can get nice crispy skin, put the sauce in a bowl on the table and not on the chicken. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    I drizzle with sauce, usually a homemade buffalo sauce, after removing from the grill. Stays crispy and just enough sauce. I do have a bowl on the side for those who want more. 
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA