Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sunday's Smoke - Spatchcock, Beef Short Ribs and Fresh Bread

Options
Thatgrimguy
Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
edited June 2015 in EggHead Forum
Brined the chicken yesterday for about 6 hours, then left it in the fridge over night spatched so the skin could dry. I have some Lemon infused olive oil and some coconut vinegar. I mixed that with an island rub called "A Thyme for All Seasonings - Tropical Caribbean Blend" I got the seasoning in the exchange last year and hadn't tried it yet. I mixed that up in a small container and let it sit together overnight to hopefully let those flavors meld over night. Then basted the chicken with it before putting it on. I'll baste again during the cook at least once.

I soaked the Beef ribs in Allegro original overnight and put them on the smoker. I plan to wrap them with a little more allegro when they hit the stall.

While I was at it, I prepped some Ciabatta and some Sour Dough. Both solely from sour dough culture.

The sourdough - 

Take the culture out the day before and split off a half cup and double it. Let that sit on the counter overnight.

7 Cups all purpose flour
1/8 cup kosher salt
That 1 cup (usually a little more like 1.5 cups) of starter you doubled the day before
I usually make the dough at least a day before cooking it. But today I'm doing it all in one day.

Ciabatta -
Take a half cup of starter and add 3 cups of bread flour. Mix in water to the consistency of oatmeal. Let sit for at least 2 days to ferment. Should smell like straight beer. This is called the Poolish.

4 cups bread flour, 1/8 cup salt. All poolish

Ciabatta is mostly process and I'm still learning. But basically you should have enough water in the Poolish that you don't need any or much water. The key in mixing this is to build long gluten strands. We mix it in a 5 gallon bucket with a pole in large circles.  Then rest for a couple hours, punch down and then let rise again. And bake! We'll see if I can end up with good bread!

XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum

Comments

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056
    Options
    Love the infused oil and vinegars. Can't wait to see the results!  
  • Thatgrimguy
    edited June 2015
    Options
    The chicken is done. Looking really delicious, but a bit early.

I went ahead and wrapped the beef ribs which seemed to be cruising around 170 probably in the stall. I added some more allegro and threw them back in! The XL egg has crept up to about 310 now. 

Thanks for following!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Short ribs are still in the stall.

Added some deer, cheese and jalepeno sausage

I had a loaf of Hawaiian bread. Cut the loaf in cubes while still in it's tray and cut down to the tray. Add bacon, cheese. Then melt a stick and a half of unsalted butter and mix it with about half a packet of ranch (the stuff you make dressing from) then drizzle that over the top. Boil till it's pretty.

Thanks everyone for checking it out!
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Fan-Flippen-Tastic......Everything looks awesome..The bread WOW..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Hell of a spread-I got tired just reading...never mind execution.  Most eggcellent.  You sure you don't have @SGH on the guest list
    :peace: 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Short ribs are resting. Egg is on the way to 450 for the sour dough!
  • Dawnl
    Dawnl Posts: 252
    Options
    Wow Just Wow, love that bread.
    Ottawa Valley, Ontario
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Wow,,, that's all I got. Wow...
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Short ribs stole the show today. I feel bad for the people that don't eat beef. The chicken was incredible, but dang... these short ribs were something else.

Sour dough needed it's extra day or two to get happy as a dough. It flattened instead of popping. Ciabatta was amazing though. And really the sour dough is all gone so obviously it wasn't for not. By the time it was bread cooking time, I may have had too many beers... 

• Thatgrimguy
    Options
    This cook is a wrap. I'm going swimming in the river!
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Options
    Looks like a great day, food looked crazy good.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    Wow. simply amazing. That bread is something else!
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    This cook is a wrap. I'm going swimming in the river!
    A great day for sure...
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Oh wow. Love the bird and really love the beef short ribs. Masterful!!!!! Crap, I just drooled on my shirt. Thanks. 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Helluva cook @thatgrimguy !!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Hunter1881
    Hunter1881 Posts: 406
    Options
    Nice cook man
    Henderson TN. 1 large BGE, 1 Webber Gasser (recently seems to have converted into a warming oven)
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Thanks everyone. A great day was had by all! My nieces declared this to be magic meat. They loved the Short Ribs!!  I'm loading up on water now and about to watch a movie. My wife will be back in town day after tomorrow. So ya'll will quit hearing from me nightly lol.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Bravo well done
    Seattle, WA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    @Thatgrimguy - What a finish.  Friggin eggceptional cook adventure.  So the shorties were allegro only...never would have gone that route.  Congrats on a home-run across the spectrum.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Thank you!!  I talked to my buddy who has been teaching me to bake. He told me my sourdough got messed up by the rain. It was pouring down rain off and on and he said that much humidity makes it really hard for the bread to rise. 
  • Carrie
    Carrie Posts: 1
    Options
    Those short ribs look amazing! Did you follow a recipe? I'm still learning and haven't attempted short ribs yet but want to.