Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New $200 XL BGE With Custom Camouflage Mates

WeberWho
WeberWho Posts: 11,008
edited June 2015 in EggHead Forum
My wife and I entered the Bone Daddy Classic rib competition here in Minnesota a month or so ago as a team. During the rib competition they had employees of the event go around and raffle off tickets for a chance to win a large Big Green Egg for $20. We could see the employees go from team to team asking if they were interested. So I say to my wife, "What do you think? Should we enter?"  It wasn't even a question but I asked it anyways. I pull out my wallet only to find $0.00 in my wallet.  Damn it! So I look over at my wife and say, "I need to borrow $20".  She wasn't so sure from the start. "I don't know that's a lot of money", "What are the chances?", "Do you think we should?", "I'll go see what I have in my purse", "I have $20 if you really think we should". Score! I said, "Let's do it!" My wife handed me the ticket to write down my name and number on it. I gave it back and said "Noooooooooo way, I'm not lucky you put your name down since it's your money!".  She was having fun with it and even gave it a kiss before dropping it in the bucket. She made it into a production and was having fun with the employees.  The employee said, "That's the winning ticket it has to be!"  We laughed it off and went back to drinking beer and watching ribs cook.  I know, it's a hard job. So the event eventually wraps up and winners are announced and I completely forget about the BGE drawing.  Next thing I hear is my wife's name being announced over the intercom. So I look over and see my wife's face in shock as she starts to celebrate and I hear people cheering. I think to myself, "what the hell is going on?" as I didn't hear that they were drawing for the egg. Next thing I know I see her walking up being congratulated for winning.  Wait, what?  What did she just win? The beers were flowing from earlier and completely forgot about signing up.  So she comes back and goes, "I WON!!!!!!!!!!".  Wait, you won the egg?  I'm yakking away talking with friends, I hear my wife's name over the intercom, and she's celebrating that she just won an egg all in like 30 seconds.  Whoa! What a mind trip.  After packing everything up from the competition an employee came over and asked if we wanted to go pick up the egg. The competition staff busted their a** off all day long and were working non stop loading eggs into individuals cars.  I told them we would hold off and come back a different day when they weren't so busy to pick it up. The next day I actually got to thinking about having two large eggs again. (I ran over my spare large egg with my truck on accident. Opps!) That thought turned into an XL Big Green Egg.  I'm not sure why my thought went to a XL Big Green Egg but a light bulb went off in my head. A voice in my head said, "What if you trade in the large and see if you could pay the difference of a XL?"  At this point my wife has been teasing me that the new egg was all hers and I couldn't use it! The very person who wanted to pass on the raffle ticket!  So I propositioned my wife about my thoughts and she said go for it.  So we went in and asked if it would be possible to upgrade and pay the difference.  They said no problem. Sweet! 20 minutes later we were driving out with an XL egg!  Mind trip!

I couldn't justify spending $180 on a XL nest even though I had a gift card to the dealer for $250.  Way too much in my opinion.  So I put a wanted add on Craigslist figuring it would be a long shot as eggs aren't very common this far north especially a XL nest.  Two days later I get a response back from an individual saying that he had a nest available.  He said he would let the nest go for $75 and that he had mates if I wanted them. Best of all he lived 2 miles away! Score

The mates were all weathered and dirty.  So I decided to sand the mates down to clean them up.  I also decided that I was going to paint them.  I decided to go with camouflage to hide maybe some of the dirt and grime over time.  I even put on a couple coats of polyurethane.  If I get a couple years out of the mates I'll be happy with it.

I decided to wait cooking something on the XL until it had something deserving.  So I decided to try my hand at another brisket. I butchered the brisket when trimming last night. I trimmed way too much off.  More less having fun playing around with the egg. =)

My wife still reminds me every time we walk past the XL that it's hers.  I just remind her anytime she plans on moving it or uses the mates that it's going to cost her!  ;)
"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments