Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can you brine too long?

Options
jad
jad Posts: 70
have a pork tenderloin in APL brine recipe which says brine for 2 - 12 hrs. 
Just not going to have time to cook it so I am wondering if there is a problem if I let it sit in the brine longer .... Like 24hrs

Cary NC

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I think you can...it will make the meat too mushy.  I would brine it for like 3-4 hours, then take it out of the brine and rinse it and then put it back in the fridge. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I've ruined pork chops by brining too long, they soaked up the salt like a sponge.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I haven't brined a tenderloin, but I usually don't brine 1" chops more than 2 hours now.
  • xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    I agree with @SmokeyPitt. If you brine too long, the muscle fibers will be damaged and break down, leading to mushy meat. If doing pulled pork this might not matter, but for tenderloin or poultry, the texture will be gross. 12 hrs is fine, as I've done it multiple times without problem but you shouldn't go past that. I would pull it out of the brine, pat it dry, and hold it in something else until you're ready to cook.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    yes- you can brine too long 

If you post the brine recipe I'll tell you how long you should brine it. It all has to do with the salinity of the brine.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    @jad is this the one? 

http://www.adamperrylang.com/recipes/pork-tenderloins-glazed-with-peach-preserves-and-rosemary

Brine 
    1 tablespoon crushed hot red pepper flakes 
    2 tablespoons boiling water 
    4 cups peach nectar 
    2 cups water 
    1⁄4 cup kosher salt 
    1⁄4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar 
    4 garlic cloves, peeled, halved, germ removed, and grated on a Microplane grater 
    1 tablespoon finely ground fresh black pepper

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• jad
    jad Posts: 70
    Options
    SmokeyPitt that's the one I used ..... It was in the brine over 12 hrs close to 18. I took it out and rinsed and it's back in the fridge. Going to try and cook it later hope it comes out ok ? Sounds like I better have a plan "B"
    Cary NC
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Yes up can, yo uh can take them out of the brine, rinse them, dry them, cover the and put them in the frig
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.