Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brand New XL Big Green Egg

Options
Just sold my Large BGE which I have loved for the past 3 years.  Bought the XL with the plate setter and was shocked that a drip pan would not fit in between the plate setter and the grate.  Did not have this problem  with the large BGE.  Looking for suggestions as I love to fill pan with water and other ingredients for long slow cooks.  

Help please !

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    Can you go with a smaller drip pan?  No need for water in a drip pan if it's for moisture.  I picked up a XL myself and have yet to use it. Thanks for the heads up.  Welcome!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Are you going legs up or down? With the legs up, there is lots of room for a drip pan?  What drip pan are you using? 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Bamabackyardbbq
    Options
    Using legs up. The drip pans i had used for the last 3 years on my Large BGE are to tall.  The grill grate sets on the pan on not on the legs of the plate setter on the XL.   
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    I have an XL and use a shallow aluminum pan (pizza pan). I got it from CGS, but have seen them at my local restaurant supply store (very inexpensive). 

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    abpgwolf said:
    I have an XL and use a shallow aluminum pan (pizza pan). I got it from CGS, but have seen them at my local restaurant supply store (very inexpensive). 
    That's what I use as well.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Bamabackyardbbq
    Options
    Thanks for the advice... I will try to find those smaller pans....  Keep on egging !!

• EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    Options
    Can you not use those disposable aluminum trays you get at Costco or the grocery store....the aluminum is soft enough to squash till it fits.  At least, that is what I do on my LBGE!
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited June 2015
    Options
    If my grid happens to sit on the drip pan, I let it sit on the drip pan. As long as it stable enough to open the dome, who cares?  Not like you're pushing around the yard and it will spill over while you cook. 
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I either wrap my plate setter with foil or double up a large piece and make a tray out of it.  I have had my XL for a year and have never added a pan with water.  Doesn't need it.  @Bamabackyardbbq, make sure you keep an eye on the temp, if are using a water pan in the XL, and it gets dry your temp will jump up.  It acts as a heat sink and when the water is gone the temp rises.  If you want different flavors try marinades, injecting or brining the meat.  The foil pans I bought at Sam's are also too tall, but have smashed it down before to make it fit.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    Photo of MY solution.
    I purchased 3 small FIRE BRICKS and CUT them in 1/2 and prop UP the grate which gives plenty of space for a drip pan.
  • Bamabackyardbbq
    Options
    Great advice guys !  Thanks for all the suggestions 

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    Options
    We smoke on the XL and have found that if we use 2 full sheet pans (disposable) stacked inside each other you can rest the grid on top with liquid inside.  We typically do up to 25lbs of meat on one grid with this set up.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    My advice?  Don't screw around.  Get the AR from CGS.  You can use your plate setter with it.  They sell a SS drip pan you wrap in foil.  It sits on top of the plate setter on something to elevate it a bit to prevent burning.  I use some 1/2 inch copper plumbing tees.  After the cook, toss the foil.  If you can't buy the AR right now, get the drip pan anyway.
    Flint, Michigan
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Options
    After 5 years of jerry rigging, I yesterday ordered a Woo2AR Combo for my XL. No more bits and pieces of bricks and bolts. My platesetter is cracked and after checking price of a replacement, the CGW setup made a lot of sense.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    abpgwolf said:
    This is what I use, and it works awesome! 

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,617
    Options
    I use a round one in my XL from CGS, it works very well.  I also use the large foil pans from time to time and I just mash them a bit.  I've used two of the smaller foil pans as well, they fit side by side and they're not as tall.
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    I always go legs up on my low and slow cooks.  Honestly I pretty much always go legs up with the platesetter.
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    Platesetter legs up with 3 terra cotta pot feet placed where the legs turn up. Set grid on the pot feet. This brings the grid to felt level & is sturdy.
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    The XL is not as tall as the large so leaves less room under the cooking grate. Also messes up the dimension of lower shelf on tables from top shelf
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    edited June 2015
    Options
     Tspud1 said:
    The XL is not as tall as the large so leaves less room under the cooking grate. Also messes up the dimension of lower shelf on tables from top shelf
    @Tspud1 I believe the older XL Big Green Eggs have the shorter domes as the newer XL eggs have the taller domes.  Here's a couple pics of the smaller dome and newer bigger dome

MO
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota