Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Alabama White Wings

Options
Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200
I've never seen this before, nor heard of it, not that that means much, but we made wings the other night and used and Alabama White Sauce. Makes sense to me and makes me wonder why it never occurred to me. Mrs. G got the recipe from her June issue of Southern Living. Sauce was made according to their destructions except I didn't have Creole mustard so I used Gulden's Spicy Brown. Parked that in the fridge for a few hours till it was time to eat.

Wings got a rub down of John Henry's Texas Chicken Tickler and air dried in the fridge for 3 or 4 hours

Set up the Egg around 425-450 ish indirect with the AR and just a few orange wood chips for smoke.
Wings cooked for approximately 2 beers. Or three. I don't remember. Then tossed in the sauce in a large bowl.Served with a salad. No tater tots because I had an "unhealthy" lunch and I'm still watching my blood and A1C.
Came out pretty good. Tangy and creamy and messy. I'd make them again. Not sure how "authentic" they were, but tasty none the less.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Those look really tasty.  I think we have that Southern Living issue as well.  Will have to dig it up and give them a go.  

Thanks for posting.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Well done sir!  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Looks great. I use a white bbq sauce from our giant southern living cookbook we got as a wedding present way back when. I use it all the time on chicken breasts, it's actually one of our favorites. I think it's just vinegar, mayo, cracked pepper and some spices. Nice job. 

Edit: my wife is from Mobile and she had never heard of it...so I'm with you on the authenticity?
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • Griffin
    Options
    @GATraveller I think there were three wing sauces in that issue. I disregarded their directions on how to cook wings. Thank you @Mattman3969 @ksmyrl I've got a coworker who just moved to Texas from Alabama. She's never heard of white sauce before. I've heard of it plenty of times, just don't know if this recipe is authentic, but who cares? It was mayo, apple cider vinegar, horseradish, garlic, pepper, mustard, sugar and fresh chives.

Rowlett, Texas

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Good looking wings.

i like your timer. 

Lived right next door to bama all my life. First time I heard of Alabama white sauce was a month or so ago. Been meaning to give it a go. 
  • fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    Options
    Love the white bbq sauce.  When I visited Big Bob Gibson's several years ago I was blown away by that sauce.  I've tried to make it at home several times.  Just isn't quite the same.  I even have bought their stuff online as they ship.  I'd love a good knockoff recipe.  I just haven't found one yet.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    Looks awesome. Always wanted to try this, and I think I will now! 
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • bweekes
    Options
    Looks awesome. Always wanted to try this, and I think I will now! 
    Ajax, ON Canada
  • Griffin
    Options
    Good looking wings.

i like your timer. 

Lived right next door to bama all my life. First time I heard of Alabama white sauce was a month or so ago. Been meaning to give it a go. 
    Thanks. When he's awake, Duke is my timer. When he's asleep, my beverage is my timer. Neither are very accurate, but both demand constant attention. LOL

Rowlett, Texas

• Griffin
    Options
    fiver29 said:
    Love the white bbq sauce.  When I visited Big Bob Gibson's several years ago I was blown away by that sauce.  I've tried to make it at home several times.  Just isn't quite the same.  I even have bought their stuff online as they ship.  I'd love a good knockoff recipe.  I just haven't found one yet.
    If I'm ever in Alabama, and I have no idea why I would be, I am gonna make a stop there. If you ever try this version, let me know how it compares.

Rowlett, Texas

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,619
    Options
    Griffin said:
     It was mayo, apple cider vinegar, horseradish, garlic, pepper, mustard, sugar and fresh chives.
    this sounds like kicked-up slaw dressing to me - is that how it tasted?
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Legume said:
    Griffin said:
     It was mayo, apple cider vinegar, horseradish, garlic, pepper, mustard, sugar and fresh chives.
    I have tried the white sauce before and that is not a bad description.  It is sort of like non-destructed chicken salad if that makes any sense.  A mayo-y dressing on the outside of whole pieces of chicken. 

Great looking wangs Griff!  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• fiver29
    Options
    Griffin said:
    fiver29 said:
    If I'm ever in Alabama, and I have no idea why I would be, I am gonna make a stop there. If you ever try this version, let me know how it compares.
    I'm with you.  My wife's grandma (God bless her soul) and her Aunt and Uncle live in Decatur.  Otherwise, there would be no reason to visit there.  

If I find that recipe I'll give it a try.  Thanks!
    Strongsville, Ohio

[I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• Griffin
    Options
    Legume said:
    Griffin said:
    That never occurred to me. I don't eat a low of slaw, but it didn't really tasty like any I've had. Then again, I've nver really just tasted the dressing for slaw by itself. It worked with the wings I can tell you.

Rowlett, Texas

• Griffin
    Options

Rowlett, Texas

• fiver29
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Thanks!!  Bookmarked!

I'm guessing your son is about 18 months?  My kids (2 girls) are 8 and 10.  Both love good BBQ.  I often think if they will get an egg one day.  I hope so.  If not, will they miss all these egged meals they've enjoyed while growing up?

No doubt I'm spoiling them on good que.  And loving every minute of it!!
    Strongsville, Ohio

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Options
    These sound really good!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• bweekes
    Options
    Ajax, ON Canada
  • Griffin
    Options
    fiver29 said:
    Thanks!!  Bookmarked!

I'm guessing your son is about 18 months?  My kids (2 girls) are 8 and 10.  Both love good BBQ.  I often think if they will get an egg one day.  I hope so.  If not, will they miss all these egged meals they've enjoyed while growing up?

No doubt I'm spoiling them on good que.  And loving every minute of it!!
    6 months last Friday. The other day, Momma had him on her lap while I was lighting the egg and he was entranced. At least, I like to think he was. Planning on teaching him the way of the Egg when he's ready.

Rowlett, Texas

• fiver29
    Options
    Dang!!  He's a big boy!  Must be 90th percentile range for height I would think. 

A couple of my favorite memories is giving my kids their first rib and watching them go to town when they could eat it.  So awesome.
    Strongsville, Ohio

• Griffin
    Options
    fiver29 said:
    Dang!!  He's a big boy!  Must be 90th percentile range for height I would think. 

A couple of my favorite memories is giving my kids their first rib and watching them go to town when they could eat it.  So awesome.
    Pictures may be deceiving. We went for his 6 month yesterday and he was 16lb 14oz (34%) and 27 in (64%) and that is with him being born 3 weeks early. I can't wait to give him brisket and/or ribs.

Rowlett, Texas

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Griffin said:
    @GATraveller I think there were three wing sauces in that issue. I disregarded their directions on how to cook wings. Thank you @Mattman3969 @ksmyrl I've got a coworker who just moved to Texas from Alabama. She's never heard of white sauce before. I've heard of it plenty of times, just don't know if this recipe is authentic, but who cares? It was mayo, apple cider vinegar, horseradish, garlic, pepper, mustard, sugar and fresh chives.
    Alabama White sauce is a northern Alabama thing. Mobile gets it's cuisine influence mostly from New Orleans. From Pensacola, FL along the coast through Mobile, AL, Biloxi, MS all the way to New Orleans and all over Louisiana. You get the Cajun influence. The further East from New Orleans you get the more it just becomes seafood and the spice falls off. But none of the coastal areas pull their main cuisine from the rest of the states they are in. (at least in this area)

Just an hour north of the coast though, and you would hardly know their is any seafood/cajun influence in the whole state, it's all about soul food. (true for both MS and AL)
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    I found this white sauce recipe about a month ago. The family LOVES it on chicken, turkey, pork, we even made coleslaw with it and it turned out great!

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Those are not for eating in the car. Nice
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Very nice Griffin!  Been awhile since I've had Alabama sauce.  
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    bweekes said:
    This is the white sauce guy. Pretty big around were I'm from. I have a buddy that makes a great white sauce. 

Looks  great man. 

XLBGE