Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri-tip

Options
cooked one yesterday that had been hanging out in frig too long. I was gonna reverse sear it but ran short of time. Ended up just cooking indirect and then bumping temp up towards end. Came out great but had ball practice so no plated or sliced pics. Came out perfect medium rare. Just sliced and made some salsa and cheese dip and griddled onions and made tacos. 

Little Rock, AR

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Looks like a slam dunk to me. Awesome brother

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    It was great my friend. Almost tasted like brisket. Judt a great cut of meat. Think i got some shortribs for tomorrow. 

Little Rock, AR

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Beautiful! 
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Not much makes a better sandwich than leftover tri tip
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • LDR
    LDR Posts: 414
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Looks good.  I just found one of the tritips in Little Rock tonight while hunting brisket.  Tomorrow will be my first cook with it.  Any tips?
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Ive cooked them several different ways. Most fool proof is probably a reverse sear where you cook it indirect at low temp til it hits about 115. Then pull it, loosely tent with foil and pull the indiect piece and open up vents to about 600. Then sear both sides about 45 seconds or maybe even a minute per side. Let rest and slice. But google how to slice. The grain runs three directions and yiu need to slice across the grain. Ive also just cooked them direct at felt line like a steak. I just flipped it a lot and cooked it about 350. Just a little more labor intensive. Yesterday I just went indirect at 300 til about 110 then cranked heat to 425 and left indirect. Results were great. I guess I havent had a bad one yet. Good luck. 

By the way, where'd you find it?  They usually have them in cryovac at harps in bryant on hwy 5. 

Little Rock, AR

• LDR
    LDR Posts: 414
    Options
    There were six at the Walmart on Bowman, next to Sam's.  It was the first time I'd seen them around here, so I had to grab one.
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    That's a cool flame shot, especially for indirect. You must be using a half stone or something. Looks delicious :plus_one: 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming