Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Swordfish

Options
Rufus
Rufus Posts: 13
{ am planning to grill some swordfish tomorrow for my college roommate from college in 1968.  I was going to peel and slice fresh mangoes.  Marinate the swordfish in EVOO, salt, pepper, and mashed mango for 30 minutes.  I was going to cook on a pecan plank.  I was going to cook it on one side for 4-5 minutes at 500 degrees then turn over and put a slice of mango on top and grill for 4-5 more minutes.  I was going to make a mixed greens salad with halved cherry tomatoes, red onion, grated carrot, cucumber, manderin organge segments, and candied pecans.  I was going to place the swordfish on the salad and garnish with some fresh mango pieces and a sprg of mint.  I was going to toast some ciabatta bread on the Egg and grate fresh parmigano reggiano cheese melted on it.  Before I ruin good swordfish, does anyone have any suggestions or warnings or comments?

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Plan sounds solid. Don't overcook it would be my only caution in this cook. the mango being a citrus you may or may not speed up the process (mango is low in citric acid shouldn't affect it) so be cognitive of that.  I'd pull it at around 135℉-140℉ to allow for a slight carryover. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    We catch swords once in a while. Your plan is solid. But if it is top notch fresh, go just like a steak, and salt and pepper only.
     Let it sit out covered with a damp paper towel covering it for 1 hour. Use only a tiny bit of evoo to get the s&p to stick, depending on what part of the fish the steak came from, it can be very fatty(which is good). Apply salt and pepper.   Cook 375-400 direct until you see tiny drops of what looks like mayo on it then pull.  For a 1" steak, it should be about 4-5 min a side as previously stated.  Again, only if really fresh. Dress the plate up as you want with sides, but let the fish shine. Fresh sword is absolutely incredible.  

If if unsure about freshness, keep your plan, but do not use much oil, the fish should have plenty by itself. 

Mo want to see pictures!!!!
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite.