Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just threw out second prime packer...need help!

Hello All,
Just opened up my second prime packer in the last couple months that appears to have gone bad while in the fridge. I'm curious about why this is happening and if there's something I can do to prevent it from happening again. Please feel free to post any thoughts, questions, or advice; I won't be offended.

This was about a 16# prime packer that was actually purchased by a friend and brought to me. Looked good at the get go; nice cut, tightly sealed cryo, no visible holes or tears. After about 2 weeks in a working refrigerator (nothing else has spoiled...) the cryo was loose and there was off white material smeared all over the inside of the bag.  I took this to be bacterial growth and took the cryo back to where it was purchased. The worker there said 'yeah, it's ugly, but it's fine, cook it or freeze it ASAP; those smears are just fat'. I was skeptical, but I thought it was worth a go so I brought it home and cut a small hole in the top of the cryo (flat end, not point). It smelled awful (rotten, putrid, unfresh), so I threw the whole thing out.

Am I just being overly sensitive to the smell of an aged piece of beef?

If you age in a cryo, will a brisket actually lose fat from the cap that looks like off white beads or smears?

Is this just too long to leave even a big piece of meat in a refrigerator?

Sorry for no pics, I should have taken them, but I was pretty peeved about the whole thing.

Thanks in advance -
B_B
Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    If you let it vent-air out a few minutes from the cryo pack and it smelled rancid No that's not being oversensitive. The nose knows.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    Is (was) it a sour almost metallic smell (typical of aging)? Or did it spawn a gag reflex (rancid). 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Better safe than sorry. You did the right thing. 
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    I bet it was fine.   I had that happen to me with some pork T awhile back. Smelled bad upon opening, but the smell cleared after 5 - 10 min. But, if the smell doesn't clear, in the trash it goes.  Anyway, always safer to toss too.   Sorry this happened.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Thanks for the replies everyone. It's really tough to throw money away and it's reassuring to hear that you guys likely would have done the same thing.

@NPHuskerFL, I would say it was probably more of that sour metallic smell, that's actually a really good combination of adjectives. It certainly did not smell good, or fresh, or appetizing, but neither did I gag on it.  Part of the reason I wanted to post this was to ask if that sort of smell might be predictable in aging like this.

Ultimately, if it was just me eating it maybe I'd be a little more adventurous, but the though of making my family and friends sick is unbearable.

Cheers -
    B_B

Middleton, WI
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Next time, take it all the way out of the packaging and rinse it and let it sit for 10 minutes or so and see if the smell improves.
    NOLA
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited June 2015
    Understandable. Wet aging will impart different aromas as will dry aging as @DoubleEgger can attest to. Typically the smell of truly rancid meat will make you gag.  I'm certain that you didn't purposely toss prime meat just to toss it. I get it. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Stike?????
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • nth78
    nth78 Posts: 154
    I never leave meat in the fridge that long.  If I'm not going to use it in the next few days, it goes in the freezer 
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    nth78 said:
    I never leave meat in the fridge that long.  If I'm not going to use it in the next few days, it goes in the freezer 
    You can wet age meat in a cryovac for quite some time without any problems.  My packers sit in my fridge for about 14-21 days before I use them.

I wonder how long the friend had it....
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    @cazzy I'm assuming this is past the sell by date? I have one that's sell by date is mid June but was going to save it for the 4th. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    @Scottborasjr Sell by was yesterday (June 4th), so I don't think it's terribly old, one way or another.

@cazzy Buddy brought it straight over from the meat shop. I've cooked brisket and tri-tips for the two families a number of times, so he said it was his turn.

I may have over reacted, but I was really put off by the smell and by the loose cryo. Just like last time the cryo went from tight to loose, but was not inflated. Is that normal in a wet aging?

Appreciate all the feedback guys; always room to learn more...

B_B

Middleton, WI
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,166
    Good call-when in doubt, toss and don't look back.  The smell will let you know.  Lots of posters will give many reasons for a salvage cook but if you doubt the meat then you are justified with your call.  As mentioned, trust the nose-much more accurate than anyone here.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Longest mine has been in cryrovac was a year. Went straight into freezer and then used after dft in the frig. Longest in cryro in frig was 45 days I think (wasn't intended to be that long but, got crazy at work). Both were fine. Spoilage can occur even before past sell date. As far as that goes it could be bad day of slaughter. Use your senses and when in doubt throw it out. Rather be out a few $$$ than get somebody sick or worse. OTOH I don't throw it out unless it's truly rancid smelling (only had two steaks thus far and that was due to wet age and then temp was to high for a short period). Out of temp product goes bad faster than one would imagine. Guess that's why I'm always pretty busy. :sunglasses: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    I had some bad raw oysters once. Regretted it for a week. I would not even attempt to cook and eat something that is "probably" ok. If in doubt, chuck it. It isn't worth it.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited June 2015
    @ads75 especially shellfish or seafood. Out of temp for extended period and kiss it goodbye. Had an entire walkin cooler at 58℉ (was out of temp for about 3 hrs) and they lost 90+% of their food. This is why we go to these calls immediately. Probably $15K lost (their cost) in that box. And oysters are even more finicky can't be too warm or too cold. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    @Scottborasjr Sell by was yesterday (June 4th), so I don't think it's terribly old, one way or another.

@cazzy Buddy brought it straight over from the meat shop. I've cooked brisket and tri-tips for the two families a number of times, so he said it was his turn.

I may have over reacted, but I was really put off by the smell and by the loose cryo. Just like last time the cryo went from tight to loose, but was not inflated. Is that normal in a wet aging?

Appreciate all the feedback guys; always room to learn more...

B_B
    You probably did the right thing but I have washed it, then trimmed all the yucky stuff off and reaccessed.  Either way, trust the nose.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Sorry about the upcoming mini hi-jack...we bought a pack of ribs from Cash & Carry, think there was 5 racks of spares in it. Vac sealed all of them separately. Checked them after a few days in the freezer....all was well. Pulled one out to thaw, looked good. Checked after 24 hours in the fridge, slightly thawed, still the vac seal looked good. When I pulled them out to prep them the vac was gone out of the bag. Ribs were still good...never did figure out what happened.
    Back on subject....as others have said, trust the nose. Smells off, out it goes. Ain't no point of ending up in the ER....or worse....
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    The longer meat sits in a cryovac package, the more sulfur smell it takes on.  When a cryovac package is opened, the smell can bother some people.  It doesn't smell rancid, just like sulfur.  Give it a rinse and let it sit a few minutes. If the smell goes away, you are fine. If it keeps smelling bad, then toss it.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    I wouldn't cook any meat that's been in my fridge for two weeks. Scary. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    My dog is having a cardiac arrest - at 16# that's just a couple of meals for her but still she thinks something that good should be rolled in first then eaten....just saying one creatures garbage is another creatures treasure - if you are not comfortable, don't do it. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    I wouldn't cook any meat that's been in my fridge for two weeks. Scary. 
    I'm guessing that you'll never dry age any steaks then.  :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    edited June 2015
    Sorry for your loss again.  Upon returning to the place of purchase, I would have called the manager and challenged them to open/feel/smell it.

Little Steven  @pantsypants    please chime in  ...
    We've bought imported cryovaced USDA Prime strip and had knowledge of the 'kill date'.  I was advised to wet age in the bag for 4 (or 6?) weeks, then cook/freeze/dry-age.  On one occasion I was too busy and left it in the bag about 10 days too long, I could tell it was almost starting to feel/smell 'funny', cooked some and froze some right away, it was close!

canuckland
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    I like beef aged, pork needs to be fresh.  Apples/oranges IMO
    IF, you know the kill date, I like 2/3 weeks of wet age on beef.

I would be a little worried if it smelt bad myself, I aged beef that long and it smells fine.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    I have had much experience with leaving cryovaced strips in my fridge . I have left them in there for up to 10 weeks with absolutely no issue.  That said there have been a couple times that i have opened up bags that have been aging 5 weeks and they were rotten. I find that when you take the beef out of the cryo you generally have to wash off the "sulpur" smell and it is generally fine .
    there is no way to wash off a rotten smell .
    Toronto