Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hawaiian BBQ Chicken Pizza

Options
jfm0830
jfm0830 Posts: 987
edited June 2015 in EggHead Forum
I made the Hop's Hawaiian BBQ Chicken Pizza from the Big Green Egg website recipe section. I will let the pictures tell the story, but I will mention 1 thing to watch out for. WARNING: The recipe calls for you to cook the pizzas at 500-600 degrees for 12-15 minutes. I normally cook my pizzas at 700 degrees and they take 4:20. So I knew at 600 degrees even the 12 minute time was WAY, WAY too long. If I had left the pizzas in that long I would have had 2 things that looked like hockey pucks, not pizzas. I checked at 5 minutes and kept them on for 30 seconds more. 

The first step was to grill up some thin boneless skinless chicken breasts. I seasoned them with DP Raging River Rub and some olive oil. The were direct grilled on the Big Green Egg CI grill grate. During the last minute I brushed them with BBQ sauce.

I rolled out 2 whole wheat pizza crusts.

The Egg was stabilized at 600 degrees and was set up with the plate setter supporting the Double tier swing rack and with 2 Big Green Egg pizza stones. I partially baked the crusts for about 1 minute per side.

The two partially baked
 crusts are back in the kitchen, where I had the toppings measured out and ready to go.

First came the BBQ sauce which replaced the traditional pizza sauce.

Next came the grilled chicken breasts which had been diced.

...followed by diced ham...

....Then some diced pineapple...

And finally some shredded mozzarella and sharp cheddar cheese.

I'm glad I followed my instincts and checked on these pizzas at 5 minutes, and not 12 minutes as the recipe said. They were done.

These were very tasty pizzas. I really like this style pizza, which I first tried at a California Pizza Kitchen restaurant 20 years ago or so. They are a great change of pace from traditional Italian pizza and my addition of a whole wheat crust gave it a more robust and rustic flavor. 

Jim
3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    I'll go ahead and take two pies and pick them up here in about an hour. Nicely done!! Those look fantastic.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    edited June 2015
    Options
    those look great!!!

i make the same minus the ham.  i wish i could get the hang of dough though i opt for the premade stuff from trader joes

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Very nice! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    Nothing beats pizza off of the egg.  It always impresses everyone.  I've had three friends go buy eggs after a pizza night at my house.  
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • jfm0830
    Options
    Nothing beats pizza off of the egg.  It always impresses everyone.  I've had three friends go buy eggs after a pizza night at my house.  
    Agreed. My dealer has a customer appreciation event in the spring and again at the end of the summer. They always have some pizza coming off one of the demo Eggs. I enjoy eavesdropping  on the folks who are trying their first slice of pizza off the Egg. Pizza has an across the board appeal and folks who may be unsure about getting into BBQ have an "aha" moment when they see what great pizzas they can make.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    At the risk of repeating myself, money every time!
  • Eggpharmer
    Eggpharmer Posts: 482
    Options
    That looks great! Mind sharing the dough recipe? Been looking for a good whole wheat crust. Thanks.
    Austin, TX
  • jfm0830
    Options
    Thanks for all the kind words and for checking out the post. 

@Eggpharmer The recipe I used is out of a grilled pizza cookbook so I can't really share. This recipe from King Arthur Flour is similar, but doesn't have the yellow cornmeal that the recipe I used does.