Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak ?

Options
robnybbq
robnybbq Posts: 1,911
I an craving a killer steak.  Lat few I made were so so.  And especially ones that I puchase at the local supermarket - never have that great steak flavor.

Short of going to a steak house and spending $100 on a steak dinner what do you look for at the supermarket for a good steak?

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• Eggsalent
    Eggsalent Posts: 75
    Options
    A good butcher
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Costco     :wink: 
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    butcher shop or costco, never my local. im not looking for prime either, good top choice
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited June 2015
    Options
    My local grocery dry-ages their own ribeyes and they are spectacular.  They will also cut them to order.
    NOLA
  • aukerns08
    aukerns08 Posts: 253
    Options
    Costco is really good.  I like buying a big cut/roast and portioning out my own steaks lately. 
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    with the steak house steaks theres lots of salt, when the average person puts salt on a steak he puts it on like its a poison....really salt your steak. now from reading over the past few years ive determined theres only two ways to salt a steak. one is you walk out to the hot searing grill, open the package, heavily salt one side because some will fall off, toss immediatly on grill and heavily salt the other. i will sear then while resting trex style before roasting, ill add some more but much lighter. the second way is a lighter salting then two hours in a hottub sink then dry and sear. all resting is done on a rack, not on a plate where the juices get sucked out. warming a steak for ten/20 minutes or so with salt on the counter does nothing, do you think resteraunts rest for 10 /20 minutes on the counter with salt, i really doubt it. with your schedule, salt while standing at the grill, add pepper after searing, i really hate the taste of burnt pepper
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I look for a steak with good marbeling.   This is a picture of a prime steak and you can see how it has specs of fat layered throughout the meat.  I can't get USDA prime at my grocery store so I just look for choice steaks that have decent marbeling.  You wont find one that looks that good, but just to give you an idea of what I look for.  

Sometimes I will go check them out and if they don't look great I will pass them up and just choose something else for dinner.  I have pretty good luck at my local Publix.  If you want to drop a little more money you could find some aged beef at a specialty butcher or perhaps Whole Foods. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    You want to find a market that cuts their own meats. Many of the chains will cut their meat in a central processing center and then ship out to the stores  pre-weighed and labeled. You want to find a grocery / butcher that carries quality Prime beef and will cut to order based on the size / thickness you want.

You might want to ask your butcher to cut you a 2 inch thick bone in Rib-eye. If you have invested in an Egg and expect the complete experience,....you want to invest into quality meats. You don't have to take what is available in the meat cooler. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Gman2
    Gman2 Posts: 421
    Options
    Prime 4 sure or angus if they are out of prime!!!!
    LBGE, Mechanicsville, Va., LBGE, Duck, NC, XLBGE Wake, Va.