Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Save a Pork Shoulder?

SO I did my first overnight cook last night of a shoulder, using the BBQ GURU.  7.5 lbs shoulder on Indirect heat with the BBQ GURU probe clipped under the grate.  Maintained 250 all night.  10 hrs in and meat temp is still only 174.  I realized the thermometer on the egg is only registering like 150-175.   Is there that much delta in the chamber?  I'm worried that i have been cooking too slow.  Should i increase the heat this far into the cook?  Salvagable?

Any thoughts on the temp difference between grate and egg thermometer?

Comments

• Update: brought the pit temp up 10 degrees and meat started climbing again.  Maintaining 260 at the plate meat just hit 190 it had been stuck at 174 for 2 hours or so.  

Still want to better understand the delta in temp readings

Love being able to check in on egg status from phone... At church... don't tell anyone. Haha
  • Sookie
    Sookie Posts: 335

You hit what is called the "stall".  You can combat this by either doing what you did and increasing temp a bit or wrapping in some foil for a bit.  I'm not an expert but what you experienced is not unusual.

• Coastalcooker
    Coastalcooker Posts: 185
    Seven and a half pounds at two hours per pound is about fifteen hours I think. You said you maintained 250 all night and then said the egg thermometer only registered 150-175. Are you talking about the dome thermometer? I've never had the temp that low. Calibrate the dome thermometer or don't look at it. \
    Sure glad I can cook without a computer. Maybe that's why I ride a classic motorcycle.

Bob
    The old Luddite.
    Cookin' on the coast
    Shellman Bluff, GA
    Medium BGE

• Totally, thanks Sookie!  It was totally a stall.  After my freak out subsided and the temp started climbing all was well and the Pork came out fantastic.  

Coastalcooker thank you for your very insightful and helpful comments really helped me out.  

PS I always run the dome down sub-180 I'm sorry you haven't learned to calibrate your cook.  My question was about the delta I was experiencing.  Once I got a little more airflow in the egg the two thermometers came closer in temp I think I had a very stagnant air in the chamber with a huge gradient from flame to dome.  I've never looked at the temp that low in the chamber in a long smoke.  Want to do some more experimenting.