Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Breast Roast Tips

Chubbs
Chubbs Posts: 6,929
I bought a frozen 3 lb turkey breast roast. I am thawing it now and plan to cook today for tonight's dinner.  I recall several posts on these a while back, but cannot locate them since the search filter is as worthless as a football bat. Anyone know long they typically take to cook to get to the 160IT? Thanks in advance.
Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    90-150 minutes depending on your cook temp.  If you go really low (220) it can take longer. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Chubbs
    Foghorn said:
    90-150 minutes depending on your cook temp.  If you go really low (220) it can take longer. 
    Thanks Fog. You leave netting on or remove? Just rub or inject? 
  • Foghorn
    I remove the net unless it seems like that will make things really fall apart. I haven't injected one. I just run. I pull when the internal temp passes 155. I've eaten overcooked dry turkey all my life so doing it this way is juicier than I've ever had previously - therefore I haven't seen a need to inject, but that doesn't mean that it wouldn't be a good idea. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Chubbs
    Foghorn said:
    I remove the net unless it seems like that will make things really fall apart. I haven't injected one. I just run. I pull when the internal temp passes 155. I've eaten overcooked dry turkey all my life so doing it this way is juicier than I've ever had previously - therefore I haven't seen a need to inject, but that doesn't mean that it wouldn't be a good idea. 
    Thanks. That's how I planned to cook. Glad to hear it doesn't dry. Hell I can always add bacon :lol: 
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Becarefull on injecting.  Some of them are enhanced with a salt solution.  :relaxed: 
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Foghorn
    Chubbs said:
    Foghorn said:
    Thanks. That's how I planned to cook. Glad to hear it doesn't dry. Hell I can always add bacon :lol: 

Good luck.  Get us a pic.

San Antonio, TX

• Chubbs
    GrannyX4 said:
    Becarefull on injecting.  Some of them are enhanced with a salt solution.  :relaxed: 
    Thanks Granny.  Not injecting. Made a little wet rub then dry rub. Basically made nibble me this turkey breast prep my own a little. Hoping I didn't make a mistake removing the net. Little less secure than I thought. 
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Figure 1 hr - 1 1/2 hrs.  @350 depending on size.  I prefer to brine for 24-36 hours even if they have a salt solution.  IMO it balances out the salt content and gives a better moist bird.  Just poke lots of holes with an ice pick or skinny knife blade, rinse and dry in frig overnight for a nice crispy skin, but too late for dinner tonight.
  • Chubbs
    Figure 1 hr - 1 1/2 hrs.  @350 depending on size.  I prefer to brine for 24-36 hours even if they have a salt solution.  IMO it balances out the salt content and gives a better moist bird.  Just poke lots of holes with an ice pick or skinny knife blade, rinse and dry in frig overnight for a nice crispy skin, but too late for dinner tonight.

Thanks for the suggestion, but yeah too late for this one. Will keep in mind for the next one. I am hoping I can start getting these and slicing them for sandwiches during the week, but not sure the consistency will allow that. We will see.
  • Wylecyot
    Wylecyot Posts: 203
    I may be a day late on this...I did a similar sized turkey breast Friday.  Cooked raised direct around 375.  Injected with butter and rubbed with Dizzy Dust.  It took about 1 1/2 hours to get to 160.
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr, 36" Blackstone Griddle Blackstone Tailgater and Roccbox owner/operator from Los Angeles