Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Carbon del Sur

Options
YukonRon
YukonRon Posts: 16,989
edited May 2015 in EggHead Forum
Anyone tried this Lump? If so what do you think. I bought a few bags for the holiday cooks, and I thought it to be a great deal for the price, each bag seemed to be loaded with mostly large lump. 18.8 lbs @ $9.99/bag. Clean burn, easy light, one load in the XL lasted forever, and got to temp fast. 
"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
Louisville, Kentucky

Comments

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Not tried it, personally.  Where'd you buy it?  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    Options
    Love it. Every piece is nice and large with zero dust in the bottom. Burns clean and hot. Also, the plastic bag is great due to the fact that I tend to forget and leave a bag of charcoal outside every now and then. 
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Not tried it, personally.  Where'd you buy it?  
    Restaurant Supply in Louisville. My BIL lives in NOLA and says he saw it at the Restaurant Supply there, but had never tried it.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Love it. Every piece is nice and large with zero dust in the bottom. Burns clean and hot. Also, the plastic bag is great due to the fact that I tend to forget and leave a bag of charcoal outside every now and then. 
    I started using BGE, blew that out, went to Rockwood based on what I saw on the forum, then I saw a busted bag of this at Restaurant Supply, bought a couple. I have to say, this is the way to go. Going back today to get all they have left. My truck is running......

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    What is the cost per bag?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • YukonRon
    Options
    $9.99 / 18.8 lbs bag.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Options
    Restaurant Depot carries it. Not bad for the price better than the Royal Oak they also carry.
  • tfhanson
    tfhanson Posts: 219
    Options
    Ace Hardware in Johns Creek just started carrying this lump.
    Johns Creek, GA - LBGE and a some stuff
  • bccomstock
    bccomstock Posts: 338
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I've been wanting to try this since seeing @Big_Green_Craig's FB post about it the other day.. Just not sure where to find it in my area that I have access to..
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    Options
    my local dealer sells this for $20 per bag.  I found it at RD for $9.99 for the same size.  Its a good value in my opinion at the RD price.  

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• YukonRon
    Options
    Just got back. Wife knows I am OCD on all things BGE, got ten bags, all they had left after Memorial Day weekend.
    told them to order a pallet for me.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    Options
    I grabbed several bags every time I'm at RD.  I haven't had any problems or complaints with this lump.  Plus, the price is good to me.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    The bag I had popped so bad it got crap on my food even with the plate setter in. I have never bought another bag since.
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    Options
    @Lit, that sounds like the Cowboy and Frontier lump I tried before.  I've also had pretty good luck with Grillmark that is carried at my Ace Hardware.  Wish they would carry Wicked Good again or Rockwood.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    @Lit, that sounds like the Cowboy and Frontier lump I tried before.  I've also had pretty good luck with Grillmark that is carried at my Ace Hardware.  Wish they would carry Wicked Good again or Rockwood. 

Any Ace in Florida should be able to order either.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I've bought that before at Restaurant Despot.  Actually just picked a bag up last weekend - sometimes I'm just too lazy to drag a bag out of the shop so I'll buy one.

Cooked a prime brisket, butt, sausage, pork loin last night on it for lunch today for 40.  Worked fine.  I seem to remember this stuff was made in south America from hardwood and monkey skulls or something.

Anyway, burns long time, smells fine.  I have no problems with it.
    Options
    It is imported from Columbia, by a company in the Atlanta area. Farmers around Cartagena have been making lump for generations, for their use and to make money.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    tfhanson said:
    I just bought the last Rockwood on the floor there a couple days ago. I'll try this one next! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• YukonRon
    Options
    tfhanson said:
    I just bought the last Rockwood on the floor there a couple days ago. I'll try this one next! 
    I think you will like this brand.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky