Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

not a North vs. South question...you like cold buns or HOT BUNS?

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,880
When you grill burgers - do you toast your buns? I used to try to prep them in a skillet or on a griddle or if nothing else in a toaster. I like the crunchy texture but my wife doesn't. She refers to them as "Oh...stale buns again? LOL!" which actually they are not. 
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Garlic buttered on the grill for me please.
    Phoenix 
  • tcracing
    tcracing Posts: 378
    Really doesn't matter, just as long as they aren't sticky buns. LOL
    George Foreman? Who? 
    Tim C. Panama City, Fl. 
    Large, Minimax-soon
  • Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    I always toast my buns when cooking burgers. Usually just plain; no butter or anything, but those are good too. I'm just too lazy to mess with buttering.
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
  • ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    I definitely prefer toasted buns. Nothing worse than a really good burger with a cold bun straight out of the bag. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    North :smiley: 

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Grill 'em in a CI griddle with Kerrygold. How could she say no to that?! =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Depends on the bun, never grill or toast a sweet bun, but I do a wheat or just plain bun.
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    I prefer them toasted but not charred.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    My wife loves hers to be toasted. I actually prefer mine lightly steamed.

Wrap in paper towel, microwave for ~15 seconds.  Nice and warm, but moist like fresh bread, not dry like toast, or cold and hard like day old bread.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Butter the inside and lay on grate for several good swallows of my beer and then pull. Looking for toasted but not burned 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    If I have time, I toast the buns briefly on the grill.  (cut side down)
    LBGE/Maryland
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Botch said:
    blasting said:
    I went on a 5 hour river float trip today.  I saw a lot of hot buns today...
    Pics or it didn't happen.  
    The float trip is very popular among the ASU college girls.  I was with my daughter, but will get some next time.  I do it about 3 times each summer.  I actually have to start early, as if I start later in the day there is a lot of flashing, and typical college hi jinx.  Sorry for the hijack Ron.
    Phoenix 
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Toasted is the only way.

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I like my buns toasty too.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • LDR
    LDR Posts: 414
    I prefer them soft, but a friend spreads barbecue sauce on them and then toasts them.  I'm happy either way.
  • MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    I really find toasting the buns a pain in the ass, so I don't do it. When I try it I usually burn them or take them off too soon. I cant ever get it perfect. A nice soft bun with onion, tomato, and mayo. Im a happy camper
    St. Johns County, Florida
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    I usually do a light toast on them. Sometimes I will butter them and toast them. Then they are really good.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Try spreading with mayo.... Toasts up great  =)
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    We do both. It just depends.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I like them both ways. My family is often headed in 3 different directions and eating at different times, so I found the toasted buns don't do as well if they sit. My wife's favorite is what I call a "concession stand" burger. Wrap the assembled burger/cheese/bun in foil and let it sit for a while. Sometimes in a low oven depending on how long. The bun will get warm and steamy. This is a great option if you are not sure when dinner time is or if everyone is not eating at the same time.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    I'll toast them on the Egg - just a tad of butter on both sides and a bit on top. 

I'll nuke the bun for a leftover burger.

Or, I'll go right out of the bag when they're fresh. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230

I like them both ways. My family is often headed in 3 different directions and eating at different times, so I found the toasted buns don't do as well if they sit. My wife's favorite is what I call a "concession stand" burger. Wrap the assembled burger/cheese/bun in foil and let it sit for a while. Sometimes in a low oven depending on how long. The bun will get warm and steamy. This is a great option if you are not sure when dinner time is or if everyone is not eating at the same time.
    Love the "concession stand" burger! They're the best! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Buttered and toasted. Bun doesn't seem to fall apart as much. Especially with lots of toppings.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Slightly steamed so they are warm but not crunchy- the bacon provides the crunch for me
    Greensboro, NC
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    hamburger bulkies grilled no butter, hotdog split tops buttered outside then fried in castiron. i dont really like those little soft hamburger buns, reminds me of fast food =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • HendersonTRKing
    HendersonTRKing Posts: 1,803
    Mmm mmm mmm mmm mmm . . . toasted.  

But it's a PITA and as others have said, tricky to get just right.  I'm usually content with "uncooked" Martin's Potato Rolls which are delicious out of the bag, as G_D intended them.  

That said, given my druthers, I'll toast a nice, fresh deli roll.  For burgers and most sandwiches, onion preferred.  Kasanof's is my go to.   

It's a 302 thing . . .
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Growing up, we had a bun warmer like the below.  I am from the south.  I also like mine toasted with some butter (I like Land-O-Lakes BTW).  

My wife, who's from the North (Central Ohio), doesn't want hers warm nor toasted.  

Worst case, I'll pop my bun(s) in the microwave for 10s or less to soften it up some.  

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    in regards to toasting, something i learned here years ago. bring egg up to 350, toast all the buns on a raised grid, bring egg to 450, cook your burgers. when your cooking for a crowd its way easier to cook the buns at a lower temp first before all that grease gets in there and flares on you at the higher temp
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it