Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can't get nice crispy skin on a whole chicken with an indirect cook?

Options
popbagz
popbagz Posts: 8
I think I'm cooking it too low of a temp. I've been using 250' until internal temp of 165'. Chicken is juicy but skin is mushy and pale. Any suggestions?

Comments

• loveTheEgg
    loveTheEgg Posts: 573
    Options
    Try spatched raised direct 400 for one hour. U will get it then! 
    Brandon, MS
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I cook raised indirect at 400-450 to internal of 160-165 (breast). olive oil salt and pepper. Very crispy
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I like to do it in a CI skillet too. The skin has a fried quality on the bottom. Preheat the pan in the egg.
  • mkmkmk
    mkmkmk Posts: 6
    Options
    Most people would also suggest leaving the chicken skin side up uncovered in the fridge overnight . I leave mine after seasoning it.  I think it dries the skin out a little. 

I've heard about some people poking holes into the skin but I haven't tried that .

I cook mine raised direct skin side down first for about 20 or 25  minutes at around 380 to 400ish. And then flip it around and add the meat probe to the breast and cook till 160. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    good call MK. I always brine and dry for a few hours if not overnight. That makes a huge difference. Even when I don't have time though the high heat will fix you up. 250 chicken = rubbery skin.

• mkmkmk
    edited May 2015
    Options
    This isn't related to the thread but I don't know how to make a new thread. I recently bought a lodge 5qt cast iron dutch oven and I'd like to know what the best temps are for cooking chicken with the lid on or off? 

Some people put coals on top of the lid.  does anyone have any experience With this ?
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I really like the CI skillet method @eggcelsior said. Get egg to 500 and preheat the skillet for 45mins.  Or I get good results like CT said indirect but I will start the bird about 425 and finish closer to 500.  The skin will be potato chip crunchy.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    mkmkmk said:
    This isn't related to the thread but I don't know how to make a new thread. I recently bought a lodge 5qt cast iron dutch oven and I'd like to know what the best temps are for cooking chicken with the lid on or off? 

Some people put coals on top of the lid.  does anyone have any experience With this ?
    When you want to start a new thread, look up at the top right of your screen and there is a big green "new discussion" button.

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    Agree with the 400 degree mark being best.  I've also dusted it with cornstarch to help dry out the skin...so far they've turned out pretty well. 

XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• popbagz
    Options
    Thanks so much folks... I'll try the raised and direct method!
  • mkmkmk
    Options
    mkmkmk said:

When you want to start a new thread, look up at the top right of your screen and there is a big green "new discussion" button.

Thanks! 

• mkmkmk
    Options
    Has anyone tried an extreme raised method? 
    In my opinion having the chicken really high up and  close to the egg walls would help? The egg wall would reflect a lot of heat . 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    All good suggestions. The corn starch is a sure thing. Ultra crispy skin guaranteed. 
  • victor1
    victor1 Posts: 225
    Options
    I just did two roast chickens this past Sunday. I did them indirect, legs up with  beer can vertical racks.  About two hours at 350 or so.  Very crispy and very juicy.  I also put a pan of carrots and potatoes underneath in a little butter, roast vegetable seasoning and Papa Murphy's Parmesan Herb.  They may have been a little over done but the flavor was excellent.   I used a foil pan, something heavier would be better.  Also, patted the chicken dry, no olive oil.
  • Chicklet
    Chicklet Posts: 205
    Options
    Marking my spot... I also have this issue and need to get that crispy skin action!  

Eat, drink and be merry

Huntsville, AL ~ LBGE noob
  • nth78
    nth78 Posts: 154
    Options
    Try spatched raised direct 400 for one hour. U will get it then! 
    This. Also leave the chicken uncovered in fridge for 24 hours.  It will dry the oil out of the skin
  • FooserX
    FooserX Posts: 4
    Options

I have cooked so much chicken on my bge, and the skin KILLS me! The meat is perfect, but the skin is a rubber tire.

What do you guys mean by "raised"? Is that a grill grate that I have to buy special that is elevated above the normal grate?

I left out some wings overnight in the fridge to cook today - really looking forward to seeing if that helps with the rubber skin.

• ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    Options
    @FooserX
    Raised is referring to the cooking level of the grate. Raised is above the gasket level. You may need to use a second grid, and nuts and bolts, or empty beer/soda cans to raise the level. Or you can look into some of the stuff from Ceramic Grill Store.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • nth78
    nth78 Posts: 154
    Options
    FooserX said:

I have cooked so much chicken on my bge, and the skin KILLS me! The meat is perfect, but the skin is a rubber tire.

What do you guys mean by "raised"? Is that a grill grate that I have to buy special that is elevated above the normal grate?

I left out some wings overnight in the fridge to cook today - really looking forward to seeing if that helps with the rubber skin.

How did it turn out?
  • FooserX
    Options

Well I am reporting back that leaving out chicken over night to dry up 100% works! I tried it on both wings, and a whole chicken.

I did notice there is a ton of new juice at the bottom of the pan overnight, so I should probably overnight the chicken, drain the juice, and let it dry out some more before I get home to smoke it.

Wings turned out super, chicken skin turned out bite through. I will need a few more cooks with drying the skin out to be sure, but 2 for 2 is promising.

• popbagz
    Options
    You left the chicken out over night? Or you left it uncovered in the fridge overnight?
  • Helmet
    Helmet Posts: 163
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I was having this same issue, what I did (as others have suggested) is to spatch, then paper towel dry the chicken skin, then coat it with corn starch and leave it uncovered in the fridge overnight. Then before cooking I hold the chicken up and use a spoon to scrape all the cornstarch off. Then I olive oil the skin, coat in Raising the steaks and throw it on the grill (place-setter with legs up, drip pan, chicken legs towards the back of the egg). The skin ends up much better than other methods I've tried. 
    Medium BGE, Weber Q120 (The traveller)
    "I claim artistic license, it has a good beat, I can dance to it"
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Raised 400 DIRECT & Spachcocked /// Note: do the same for wings, legs, etc. also very same for turkey.  
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    When spatchcocking, I have had good results with mixing some corn starch in with my rub.
    Good crispy skin. 
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • FooserX
    Options

I have not tried "raised" as I do not have anything to raise the level of my grill grate. I guess that will be next for purchase.

I just leave my chicken covered in the fridge overnight to dry out. Need to find a slightly raised great for that pan as well so the chicken doesn't marinate in it's own juices when they drip to the bottom.

• popbagz
    Options
    If I try this raised direct at about 400' can I put a catch pan on the lower grate to catch the fat drippings? Or will that interfere with the direct heat for browning the skin?
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    I'm in the raised indirect camp and cook about 400f to 425f. Here is one I did this week. I rubbed in olive oil and used my favorite rub Cimarron Doc's Sweet Rib Rub.
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    'direct' means it can see the fire. a pan makes it indirect
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• popbagz
    Options
    Thanks, That's what I thought. Then how do you deal with all that smoke created by the drippings? Do you cook with the top open?
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    When cooking >350 I do not use a top.  Leave the top off @popbagz
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite.