Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why BGE?

Hello all,

I am a relatively new user of the forum and I would like your help in making my cooker purchase.  I have narrowed it down to the “big three” Primo XL400, XL BGE, and KJ BigJoe.  The help I would ask of you is to please tell me why you chose the cooker YOU chose.  I am posting this same message in all three of the cookers forums.  I have read a lot of details about each cooker and plan to use them for everything they are build for (grilling, smoking, and baking/pizzas).  I just want to know why you chose your particular cooker over the others.

Thanks!

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Never saw a KJ, but I looked at BGE and Primo.  In the end, I went with the track record and availability of accessories.  I think the Primo was actually going to be more by a couple of hundred, but that didn't swing it for me.  I don't know anyone with a Primo, but lots of people with BGE.  I guess you could say I ran with the crowd, but have never looked back.  Convinced I made the right decision for me, but no reason to believe I would've been less happy with a Primo.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Lifetime warranty. Enough said
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    For me it was easy. I have a BGE dealer a mile from my home. I am not familiar with the warranty on the other units, but as you know the BGE comes with a lifetime warranty. 

I also consider the egg to be the forerunner of the kamado grills. In my opinion the Primo and the KJ are copycats.

I am not familiar with the Primo forum, but the KJ forum is pretty dull unless it has changed a lot lately.

This forum is hands down better than the other two combined when it comes to getting help etc. 

Make your own decision. A lot of people here have egg's and KJ's, but I had rather have an egg over a KJ or Primo any day of the week.  

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    I have a large BGE.  Went with the egg since I was able to play with some friend's BGE's over the past few years.  Accessories were easy to find.

The funny part is, both KJ and BGE are based here in Atlanta, but no one I knew had a KJ and I couldn't find them in a store other than Pike Nursery, and there wasn't one near me since the Pike family sold them out!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    BGE - The people on this forum, nough said..
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    lifetime warranty plus the availability of accessories plus user support make it a no-brainer for me.  bge!
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    I mean since the only people on this forum are BGE nuts I wouldn't expect a balanced answer.  That being said I love mine but KJ makes a nice product as well. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    I'd absolutely love to see comments from the other forums responding to this question ...
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    The warranty and the ability to make a claim at several local places. Barely anywhere carries the others. Do you need to make a claim often? No. But knowing you can is nice. There are also more after market accessories for the egg. Do what you want with your money. You are clearly not half assing the research. Why half ass the purchase with a inferior product? :lol: 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    This forum and the BGE site and recipe book, etc proved to me that the support for BGE is better than with the other two.  That was important to me.  I knew I wouldn't be inventing the wheel when I wanted to try to cook something new.   What I didn't anticipate was that by being a part of this group of lunatics, I would get pushed to try new things and new ways of cooking (like caveman style steaks) such that the return was far greater than I could have imagined.

I haven't heard of any "Primo-fests" or "KJ-fests".

The lifetime warranty and the BGE history of customer service related to that warranty.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    The simple truth is that they are all great units. Each offer something just a little different than the other as far as setup. Short of this and their color, they perform identical. The end result as far as quality food will be the very same. The debate about the big 3 ceramic manufactures follows on the heels of many other similar debates. Examples: Jambo vs Lang, Pitmaker vs Spicewine, Chevy vs Ford, Stihl vs Husqvarna, Remington vs Winchester and so on and so on. In the end you will be satisfied with which ever you choose. What I have found to be very helpful after the initial purchase is dealer support and location. Why? You will always need service and parts after the purchase. Stuff breaks, plain and simple. With that said, it makes more sense to have a dealer close by than many miles away. If dealer location is not a issue, then just pick the one that catches your eye. Among the 3 named, they are all good choices and they all turn out quality food. You can't really go wrong with any of the forementioned choices. For the record, I have a large BGE, mini BGE, MM BGE and a Kamado Joe Jr. I personally like them all.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    I would go Big Green Egg or Kamado Joe. Both have the lifetime warranty.  How much cheaper can you get the Kamado Joe than the Big Green Egg?
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    SoCalTim said:
    I'd absolutely love to see comments from the other forums responding to this question ...
    "Well I just saw this red thing and the guy at Costco said I would like it more than a BGE.  He was wrong but maybe if more people buy one our forum will get better."  It will take 3 days to get that response. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • SGH
    WeberWho? said:
      How much cheaper can you get the Kamado Joe than the Big Green Egg?
    They use to be considerably cheaper. However with their popularity increasing, the price has steady increased. On the bigger versions the price is similar to equal size BGE's. However the Joe Jr is still about 200 bucks less than a MM in my neck of the woods. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    Warranty and availability of dealer and accessories.
  • mjk412
    mjk412 Posts: 113
    I was in the same situation a few months ago.  

Primo - I loved the look, and the different cooking options I could do. What turned me off was lack of dealers. And to me that meant hassle with warranty issues 

Kamado Joe Large - I really like this cooker. I still do, and I like it more than the big green egg. Better daisy wheel, hinge, and gasket. Plus the divided and conquer cooking system looks amazing. This was my number one choice, and I still prefer this to the big green egg. But, I bought the large big green egg. Here is why...

Big Green Egg - large supply of dealers ( getting warranty parts won't be a problem).  Then the screen door. I don't think the Kamado Joe has a screen door to prevent embers from shooting out on your feet or worse a wooden deck. Those are the only two reason I went with bge. Large supply of dealers, and the screen door.  

I still think Kamado Joe is a better cooker because features, and whats incuded. I hear customer service is great.  But in the end I feel safer wth the bge because of the screen door, and I'll always have a supply of dealers around. 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    For me it was easy. I have a BGE dealer a mile from my home. 

I agree with this and @sgh - the dealer is a key.  I probably could have found a better price when I got my egg, but the same dealer sold me my Weber Genesis and a bunch of the plants in our yard.  I went with them because I've always had a great relationship with them.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    SoCalTim said:
    Ask and you shall receive!  Must be a slow day over there.  B)

http://forum.kamadojoe.com/forum/kamado-joe-owners/kamado-joe-testimonials/26537-why-kj

• Wylecyot
    Wylecyot Posts: 203
    I'll tell you what sold me on BGE.  1) The lifetime warranty.  2) Thickness and "finish" of ceramics.  I learned that the color of the BGE ceramics is white due to the higher heat when it is in the kiln.  Other brands are grey, since they are not exposed to higher temperatures during the fabrication process.  3) The wide variety of accessories available for BGE brand.

Hope this helps!
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr, 36" Blackstone Griddle Blackstone Tailgater and Roccbox owner/operator from Los Angeles
  • ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    I picked the BGE because of recommendations from others, wasn't really familiar with the other brands. The lifetime warranty is nice also, but I think I only know about that because of this forum, haven't used it. I have read someone say that between the KJ and BGE (Primo more expensive), go with the dealer you like more.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • mjk412
    mjk412 Posts: 113
    I think Kamao Joe offers a lifetime warranty on ceramics. And Primo offers a 20 year warranty on ceramics.  
  • ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    But to the OPs question for me the deciding factors on going with the BGE were the lifetime warranty, the BGE community/forums/egg fest ect, and the easily available dealers for ease of warranty claim. 

I am VERY glad I went with BGE. My original dealer no longer sells eggs. I had to place a warranty claim through a new dealer that had very little information on me. BGE helped to figure out the kinks and got me my replacement parts. I couldn't be happier. 
  • SGH
    Acn said:
    I agree with this and @sgh - the dealer is a key.  I probably could have found a better price when I got my egg, but the same dealer sold me my Weber Genesis and a bunch of the plants in our yard.  I went with them because I've always had a great relationship with them.
    You said it brother. The dealer is key to a happy ending.  

Status- Standing by.

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    I will pipe in on the dealer end of things. I have never had a bge dealer who was not enthusiast and super helpful. Most of them are very very helpful. And most of them cook on an egg either at the shop or at home or both. As far as forums I did just as you did. I lurked and listened and compared. Most of the regulars here can answer any question you can think of and have forgotten more than I will ever know. And when the proverbial stink hits the fan in the middle of a cook when your inlaws are staring at you, you can get 10 solid answers in ten minutes. I have found no other source of support and enthusiasm around any product than the people here. That to me was the decision maker. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Granted I don't have a point of reference since I have never cooked on a BGE, but thus far I have zero regrets with my Large Joe.   Easily the best food I've ever cooked, and I still don't even know what the heck I'm doing.  :)  

I was either going to get a BGE or a Large Joe, and for me it was more of a price issue since I could walk out the door over $200 cheaper with everything I needed to get going (heat deflector, stand, etc).   

I would imagine most who own either don't have very many regrets.  My only regret is not buying one sooner.
    --Because I'm like ice, buddy. When I don't like you, you've got problems.

KJ Classic
    28" Blackstone
    South Carolina native, adopted Texan, residing in Olive Branch, MS.  Go Tigers.
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    @Grillin_beers ... Cool - thanks brother!
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    Why not?
    New Albany, Ohio 

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    1) lifetime warranty
    2) just like the looks
    3) liked the name
    4) I lived 20 minutes from the dealer where I bought it and there was another one 3 minutes further. I have since moved and now those two are < 2 minutes away and there are two more within 5 minutes (that's 4 in a 5 minute radius). 
    5) I like the people (well, most of them anyway ;)  ). 
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    @jamorgan3777 It's kinda like you really want to buy ( and can afford) a Mercedes but you buy the Kia because it kinda looks like a Mercedes. 

Buy the F'ing Mercedes. You will NEVER look back and say shoulda woulda coulda.

New Albany, Ohio 

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Others have touched on this but you will not go wrong with any of the above.
    Look into your local dealers and who might give you best help after the sale.
    Any one can sell you a quality product and take your money. What happens after the sale when you need help should play a role in your decision.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas