Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rockwood in Cali

Options
jabam
jabam Posts: 1,829
Is it true they won't or can't ship Rockwood to California. If so what is a good brand to get and where. All I have local is Royal Oak from HD and Frontier from Lowes.  Want to try something different. 
Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"

Comments

• beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Options
    Order KJ or wgww from Ace & have it delivered to your local store for free shipping
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited May 2015
    Options

Yep, it's true.  No sales to CA because of Prop 65 the special interest groups that are looking out for "you".   Can't take the risk, sorry.

• jabam
    Options
    beteez said:
    Order KJ or wgww from Ace & have it delivered to your local store for free shipping
    Thank I will do that!!
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    Options
    Check out this product:
    http://www.komodokamado"DOT"com/product/accessories/coconut-shell-charcoal-single-boxes-contact-kk-for-shipping/

It is used in and shipped from California.

It was reviewed by NakedWhiz back in 2011.
    http://www.nakedwhiz"DOT"com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag81.htm
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Time to move 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited May 2015
    Options
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • CeeGeeW
    CeeGeeW Posts: 113
    Options
    @jabam It's true -- no Rockwood to Cali.  So my go to charcoal was Ozark Oak.  But they are gone.  So, I just purchased some Good One Hardwood Lump from Firecraft along with a 17lb bag of  Basques Sugar Maple Lump to try.  I haven't tried either yet, but that was the route I took.
    Los Angeles, CA
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Sounds like its time to road-trip out of state and smuggle some bags in!!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    HAHAHAH 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • McStew
    Options
    Nope I haven't seen any RW in Cali 

Hermosa Beach CA 
  • jollygreenegg
    jollygreenegg Posts: 181
    Options
    I'm in CA too, and have only used royal oak.  I find RO lump to come in small pieces and would like to find a better brand, but that seems hard in CA.  How's the Frontiers brand?  Any better than RO?
    MM & XL BGE, Bay Area CA
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    McStew said:

We'll have someone out there today to collect that bag...... :)
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    McStew said:

Smuggler's blues
  • aukerns08
    aukerns08 Posts: 253
    Options
    McStew said:

Just how much lump is that there?  Maybe I'm missing out not doing a large buy.  I'm usually only storing about 4 bags at a time.  I'm also able to get Rockwood a 20 minute drive from work when I need more so maybe I don't need to do a pallet order...
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • McStew
    Options
    McStew said:

=) send them next month after I make a tip to AZ 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • McStew
    Options

aukerns08 said:
    McStew said:

Just how much lump is that there?  Maybe I'm missing out not doing a large buy.  I'm usually only storing about 4 bags at a time.  I'm also able to get Rockwood a 20 minute drive from work when I need more so maybe I don't need to do a pallet order...
    That is about 30 bags and I was able to snag a full pallet before OO went under 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • Backyard Mike
    Options
    McStew said:

As a member of the California Board of Charcoal Management I'm afraid I'll have to confiscate that contraband. You can avoid a hefty fine if you deliver it to my house. We can provide a list of approved cooking fuels made from spotted owl and Delta Smelt droppings upon request. You must show proof of having a scrubber air filter attached to your BBQ to purchase, a three bay sink with separate hand washing sink, and be certified as a food handler (which involves sending us a check every month).

You can't be too careful when protecting people from themselves. 
  • jabam
    Options
    CeeGeeW said:
    @jabam It's true -- no Rockwood to Cali.  So my go to charcoal was Ozark Oak.  But they are gone.  So, I just purchased some Good One Hardwood Lump from Firecraft along with a 17lb bag of  Basques Sugar Maple Lump to try.  I haven't tried either yet, but that was the route I took.
    Let me know how that works for you!!
  • stlcharcoal
    edited May 2015
    Options
    McStew said:
    As a member of the California Board of Charcoal Management I'm afraid I'll have to confiscate that contraband. You can avoid a hefty fine if you deliver it to my house. We can provide a list of approved cooking fuels made from spotted owl and Delta Smelt droppings upon request. You must show proof of having a scrubber air filter attached to your BBQ to purchase, a three bay sink with separate hand washing sink, and be certified as a food handler (which involves sending us a check every month).

You can't be too careful when protecting people from themselves. 

Don't forget to come after us for not having GPS trackers in the bag to make them self destruct upon reaching the California state line.