Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with pork shoulder.

Options
mjk412
mjk412 Posts: 113
 So I wanted to smoke a pork shoulder for tomorrow. The shoulder weighs just a little over 6 pounds. I wanted to cook between 250 275 dome temp.  I plan on eating around 4 PM tomorrow. So I was going to put the shoulder on tonight around midnight. Will this give me enough time? 

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    use 1-1.25 hrs per lb as a guide at 275 dome. I would either cook lower (like 225-250) if you go overnight or put it on at like 5-6am at 275. You can always bump to 300 or wrap it if you need to speed up the end of the cook.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • mjk412
    Options
    Is it hard to maintain a dome temp at 250 without a bbq guru or whatever they are? 
  • luckyboy
    luckyboy Posts: 284
    Options
    I was aiming for 250 at the dome last week, the egg wanted 280, so I left it at 280.After about 3hrs. I put it in a half pan (alum throw away) with about 1/2 in. of apple juice then wrapped with foil.The total coke time for me was about 6hrs.My but was only 6lbs or some odd pounds.Each but will cook differently.Treason I wrap them is in my opion it will only take in so much smoke.
    Just set your egg where you are comfortable and cook and above all else enjoy yourself.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    mjk412 said:
    Is it hard to maintain a dome temp at 250 without a bbq guru or whatever they are? 
    how long have you had your egg? if you clean it out and get it really stable for a few hours you can hold it at 250 or so pretty easy. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    +1 The Cen-Tex Smoker!  Dial in 275 solid and put it on early am. Expect it to rise to 300 at finish. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    mjk412 said:
    No sir, it's not hard at all. With just a little practice and patience you can hit and hold any normal cooking temp that you want at will by using the vents. One huge benefit of the BGE is its ability to be dialed in.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• mjk412
    Options
    mjk412 said:
    how long have you had your egg? if you clean it out and get it really stable for a few hours you can hold it at 250 or so pretty easy. 
    I've had my egg for a month now. Cooked on it about 7 times. I just cleaned it all out this evening. Removed all the ash and charcoal. Then took out the fire ring and firebox. 
  • mjk412
    Options
    Assuming I'll be cooking between 250-275 what time should I put the shoulder on? I wanted to eat by 4pm. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited May 2015
    Options
    mjk412 said:
    Assuming I'll be cooking between 250-275 what time should I put the shoulder on? I wanted to eat by 4pm. 
    I would put it on around 9:00am. Should be plenty of time and you always have the option to bump temp later if something goes amiss. Once you start bumping temp, cook time is reduced dramatically so you can easily play catch up in the end if it becomes necessary. However if you maintain a steady 275 degrees, it should come on point with room to spare without bumping temp. You also have the option to wrap somewhere along the way if it looks like it's running behind. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• mjk412
    Options
    I planned on wrapping when the temp hits 165-170 and keeping it wrapped till the temp is 205. 
  • mjk412
    Options
    Internal 205 temp.