Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Retirement Communities / Del Webb

Options
bo31210
bo31210 Posts: 715
Ok,   I know there are some retired members here and I am at the stage where we are starting to look towards that chapter in the book.  SWMBO and I are both 5-7 years from turning in the keys and starting the next chapter.    We both turn 50 this year and are starting to research the "active adult" community lifestyle.    Does anyone here live in a Del Webb or similar type community?   Thoughts?   Pros?  Cons?    Any restrictions on BGEs?       We are wanting to stay in the South and are considering Lake Oconee, Charleston, Bluffton, and possibly the one outside Griffin, GA.  

Florida is not in our list of places.   If anyone knows of any others, please share as well as your thoughts on the community living approach.  Thanks in advance
In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i didnt know those existed for 50 year olds =) at 50 you should be filling your bucket list, or making a new one
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • keepervodeflame
    keepervodeflame Posts: 353
    edited May 2015
    Options
    One of SWBO's friends lives in a Del Webb. Nice facility, lots of activities, but just didn't care for the vibe ourselves. Some people really like it, but it just didn't click with us.  In a Webb, you live with and see the same age and older folks every day, pretty much everywhere. Much prefer a heterogeneous aged community. They did have restrictions on BBQ's and smoke.
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I don't know a lot about the Del Webb communities. My wife has already started talking about it, and she is only 45. 

She wants us to retire on the coast. Probably Hilton Head. I can't see it 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Options
    @johnkitchens  We are considering the low country as well   Come on down we can make it an egging neighborhood LOL     

Seriously we figured we need to start looking now so when the time comes we are ready.    we went and looked at the Sun City in Griffin a couple of weeks ago and are heading to look at the one at Lake Oconee tomorrow.     Probably take in the one near HHI later this summer.    HHI is too expensive on the island but the Bluffton area isn't too bad from what I have read.  the youngest one is out of high school next year and our house will be paid for by the time we retire (hopefully sooner) and we have both been maxing our 401's for almost 30 years.      

I plan to live in a way so the only check I bounce is to the undertaker!
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • mjodintn
    mjodintn Posts: 1
    Options
    The better half and I live in a Del Webb community 20 miles east of Nashville, TN.  I have had a large BGE and a Medium BGE for a couple of years and no one has complained and there are no rules prohibiting charcoal BBQ's.  We have been here over 7 years and there is a very active lifestyle in the community.  You can participate, or sit back and enjoy your retirement, your choice.  And, Nashville is a great city with a lot of activity.   
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Ok, I'm not terribly far from 50 and this has never crossed my mind. I have a 13 yr old and a 8 yr old. 

Im gonna refrain from stating the expletives that come to mind. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    My parents just sold their house in south Florida and are looking for a place in the villages in Florida. I know you said not in Florida but if I was looking for a place to retire that's where I would be. Believe they said 42 golf courses and all the streets have golf cart paths that go under them so you don't have to wait. Everything you could ever need including a hospital is close enough to take your golf cart to. I can't wait to go visit.
  • theyolksonyou
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Lit said:
    My parents just sold their house in south Florida and are looking for a place in the villages in Florida. I know you said not in Florida but if I was looking for a place to retire that's where I would be. Believe they said 42 golf courses and all the streets have golf cart paths that go under them so you don't have to wait. Everything you could ever need including a hospital is close enough to take your golf cart to. I can't wait to go visit.
    And one of the highest instances of stds per capita in the nation. Seriously. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Lit said:
    And one of the highest instances of stds per capita in the nation. Seriously. 
    I heard that before also when used to live in Orlando. I know the place has a reputation for partying. Lots of DUIs on golf carts. It makes sense about the STDs though you have no kids to skew the data and a bunch of old people who have lived their lives.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @Lit and there's always the strip club there. "nipples and knees"

we sell sell a lot of flooring into that community, so it gets a lot of our attention. 
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Might be wise to research the communities in depth. Geriatric STD's are no joke. Spreadin' like wild fire. 

http://www.fashiontimes.com/articles/2082/20140120/sex-ed-for-seniors-geriatric-std-rates-on-the-rise.htm
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • H12mike
    H12mike Posts: 134
    Options
    We looked at 2 communities outside of Denton, Tx. (DelWebb and Robson Ranch)  Everything looked as it was made by a "cookie cutter"!  Oh, and they want you to pay $200 per month in fees so they can tell you what you can't do (ie. Like leaving your car in the driveway).  No thanks!

X-Large BGE, DigiQ, ThermaQ (Blue), CyberQ, Joetissirie, UltraQ, (ex.FlameBoss 200)

Highland Village, TX