Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Weed burner fail, considering Mapp Torch; and possible table swap for deck box

Options
500 Posts: 3,177
My $15 propane weed burner of 6 years has finally failed me.  I can get another one at Harbour freight, but considering something else.  The little fuel packets will run out soon, and then I'll have to go back to soaking cotton balls with rubbing alcohol.  I'm thiking about a Mapp gas torch.  How many lights do you get out of a tank?  I love the weed burner, but the 20# tank takes up a bunch of space.  Mrs. 500 wants to downsize and wants me get rid of the aluminum truck box on the deck that houses everything.  She said she would consider an Egg table, as it takes up less space, and so the conversation began about how to light.  Thoughts on this?  Thanks.
I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
Member since 2009

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    a hundred papertowels in a can with veggie oil works well and its pretty simple and fast (almost as fast as the weedburner) and lasts a long time. ive had two mapps burst into flames on me, im done with those
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    I love my MAP torch but I left it in rain and ruined the end. Tried to bake it clean. Didn't work. 

Wife bought me a looft lighter last Christmas and I love the thing. Having to plug it in is a pain sometimes but I love the thing other wise. 

XLBGE 
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    a hundred papertowels in a can with veggie oil works well and its pretty simple and fast (almost as fast as the weedburner) and lasts a long time. ive had two mapps burst into flames on me, im done with those
    What happened when the mapp burst into flames? I use mapp and would really like to know. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I have an electric start and it's lasted almost 2 years now with no issues.  Just remember to set a timer so it doesn't cook itself.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I can't directly answer your question regarding how many lights it gets, but..... I bought my MAPP torch probably 6 months ago (October maybe?), and it hasn't failed me yet.  I egg most days, so call that 180ish lights so far?

would highly recommend.
    [Insert clever signature line here]
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    Options
    It's also more convenient than my old Looft Lighter.  The looft worked well for almost 2 years, then crapped out on me.  It was only slightly annoying to plug in every time, your experience may vary depending where a plug is relative to your egg.

Still - I'd recommend Mapp over looft.
    [Insert clever signature line here]
  • Angus1978
    Angus1978 Posts: 390
    Options
    I agree with @BRush00
    I get about 200 to 300 lights with my MAPP torch
    LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight
  • thebbb
    thebbb Posts: 67
    Options
    I am assuming you guys with the Mapp torches have a hose on them? Been trying to use a propane torch with out a hose (upside down) and have used 2 bottles in 5 cooks...generally end up using torch to light the cubes. 
    Lbge and MiniMax  in Southern Manitoba
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Lately, I have been using propane with a mapp torch head. Lights just as well as mapp gas, but costs $3 per cylinder instead of $10!

According to my conversation with Bernzomatic Customer Service, you can use standard propane with MAP-Pro torch heads, but you CANNOT use MAP-Pro gas with standard propane torches. They're not designed for the higher temps and will fail. Also, the standard propane heads don't do well upside down (it's the torch head, not the fuel that is at issue). When I recently ran out of MAP-Pro gas,  I screwed on a cylinder of propane and it works quite well - lump lights just fine. I guess it's not as hot as MAP-Pro, but I really haven't noticed a difference when lighting lump.

A fuel cylinder lasts a long time. Not sure, but I think I've been through 4-5 in nearly 6 years.

Oil and paper towels work well too, but mapp is easier and less messy. Pick up the torch, turn the knobs and pull the trigger. Done. No oil, no matches, no newspaper. I haven't had one blow up on me yet. Something to consider though. They do make a hose that connects a standard hand held tank with the torch head if you want to keep the fuel a bit farther from the flame. $15 at home depot, a whopping $35.93 + $5.99 shipping on Amazon!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I am currently using starter sticks from my dealer and when I want it get going quick I use my leaf blower to stock the fire.  I don't want to deal with propane bottles anymore.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    GATABITES said:
    What happened when the mapp burst into flames? I use mapp and would really like to know. 
    i think theres plastic and rubber o-rings in the head, fire was shooting out the knob, im just glad i egg just a few feet from the lake and just quickly tossed it. could have been due to the original wg competition blend taking too long to light but it happened twice to me. weedburner and papertowell are actually quicker than the hotter burning mapp so it was to just change to a safer starter
    fukahwee maine

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Fish, were you by chance, using a propane torch head with a cylinder of mapp?  Bernzomatic told me those heads are not designed for the extra heat and will fail.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    Options
    Fish, were you by chance, using a propane torch head with a cylinder of mapp?  Bernzomatic told me those heads are not designed for the extra heat and will fail.
    no, it was the benzo mapp heads, i have an old brass propane head that still works someplace though. the propane head has a much bigger nozzle, more fire and lights faster but i keep that one separate for broken water pipes up at camp. with the benzo head inverted, when it catches fire, it goes up around the bottle fast til it hits your hand and you either drop it or throw it, there is no shutting it down at that point. im not sure its recommended to be used upsidedown for any length of time, for soldering you dont really need to do that
    fukahwee maine

• SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    Options
    I used a cheap propane weed burner until the flame once crept up to the lip of the bottle and scared the heck out of me. I then switched to paper towels and oil for a few years. I have recently switched to Rutland starter squares (basically wood fibres and paraffin) and use half a square to light my Large. It's faster than prepping the paper towels and at $0.15 per light I figure it may be less expensive than oil and paper towel for me.
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    @thebbb no hose here. Would like that set up. I've never had a problem with it "upside" down. But it's not really upside down when I'm using it. More to the side

XLBGE 
  • thebbb
    thebbb Posts: 67
    Options
    @thebbb no hose here. Would like that set up. I've never had a problem with it "upside" down. But it's not really upside down when I'm using it. More to the side
    So how long do you let it go before it's lit. 
    Lbge and MiniMax  in Southern Manitoba
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I use this one from lowes & a 16 oz bottle of propane last me a long time + its cheep.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• MrCookingNurse
    Options
    You mean the fire lit? Take less that 20 seconds. 

I lite the torch right side up, then flip it to shoot the coals

XLBGE 
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    edited May 2015
    Options

I use the Bernzomatic TS4000 (think that's the model #).  Got it at HD for around $35-$40.  It uses MAPP or propane.  I've only used propane thus far just because the bottles are $3 versus $10 for the MAPP.

Takes me a minute to minute and a half to light, hitting three spots at 20-30 seconds each, and I get at least six months up to close to a year's worth of use from each bottle cooking 3-4 nights a week.  I always keep a spare on hand just in case it runs out.  I wouldn't light any other way.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Angus1978 said:
    I agree with @BRush00
    I get about 200 to 300 lights with my MAPP torch
    You'll get your money's worth out of a bottle for sure. 
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    edited May 2015
    Options
    OT but Remember that show Home Improvement?  Something tells me they could have done a pretty funny bit on this topic utilizing the 'Binford 5000 BBQ Torch' or whatever the fictitious brand in the show was.  ::grin: 
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• BigGreenGator
    BigGreenGator Posts: 346
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Well I have been using the BGE lighter cubes for a year now ...I tear off two per cook and light and wait 10-12 minutes ready to go ... I was a gaser for 25 years so no more gas of anykind :) recon that's why I like the old school method ...make a fire open a beer :) or use that time to get a few things ready 

Large Big Green Egg / Ceramic Grill 2 Tier grate / Maverick ET-733 / homemade egg station / Amelia Island Fl. "Go Gators"

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Just looked at HD in Canada. MAPP cylinder and trigger are $62. Replacement cylinder just under $12. I can buy a lot of Starter cubes for $62, especially when I come to the U.S. and get them for cheap. 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

The other thing is "MAPP" is not what it used to be.....they outlawed the stuff in 2008.  It's still called "MAPP" (substitute), but it's not as hot from what I've heard.

I have one and don't use it.  With as hot as it is, you're looking at an ER visit if you mishandle it.   Propane torch getting fumbled, you might be ok if it was indirect.......but not with MAPP.  Plus, since it's so hot and so concentrated, the risk of the popping and sending something into your eye or brush pile are so much higher.

I like my weed burner.  I'm three feet away from the fire and hold it about a 12" above the charcoal.  Give it a blast and it covers a bigger diameter with enough temp to get the charcoal going on it's own after 20-30 second.  Plus, one 20lbs tank will last me over a year if I don't forget to turn it off.

Options
    Ok. So I laid off commenting on this until I had a chance to think it over. I've been using these little packets filled with wax and fuel of some kind and kinda like them. It takes longer for the Egg to get up to a clean burn but it is simpler. Maybe if I switch to these fire starter pouches I could get a table like a saw today. I think it called a Challenger. All aluminum and 308 stainless. Real solid build. It outta be for nearly 2 large. Decided to rule out Mapp gas. I think the wand isn't long enough. So it's weed burner on the propane or these starter pouches. Can get 100 of them from Lowes for like $16. Special order. 
    Member since 2009
  • xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    Looftlighter all the way. You can light quickly but also get coals from hot to jet engine napalm in no time flat. I've had mine for a year and a half with no issues.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
    Options
    Thanks @xiphoid007 the looftlighter is a possibility. I do have power nearby. 
    Member since 2009
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    If you like the cubes, make your own. Parrafin, sawdust, and an eggcrate. Or take one of those instalogs for the fire and run it through a bandsaw and make slices. I have never lit my egg with anything other than my weedburner. If you need to hide it build an enclosed table with some doors. mine sits inside. I don't even take the bottle out. I just stretch out the hose and then put it away after.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I do find it is still hard to beat 91-93% rubbing alcohol,
    Splash on, let it sink in, and drop a match.
    Success!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
    Options
    I like the weed burner. Wife does not. She thinks I'm gonna catch the house on fire with it. I don't even hit the throttle on it but she sees a 3 foot flame and gets nervous. I'm not caving yet just weighing options. I made some homemade starters with egg carton cotton balls and petroleum jelly. They burn about 8 minutes but don't get very hot. 
    Member since 2009