Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Costco Brisket availability question...

KiterTodd
KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
I stopped in Costco today and all they had in the case were brisket flats up to 6 lbs.  ($8.99/lbs)   :cow: 

When you guys get whole packers, do you ask them to pull it from the back or is this store dependent?   I didn't see points so I'm not sure if they use that cut for something else.

I know, I could have asked a guy but the place was a zoo today and I was in a rush.  I did grab my pork shoulders and a huge bag of chicken wings for the weekend, though.  ;)
LBGE/Maryland

Comments

• bi11fish
    bi11fish Posts: 36
    Same deal in PA---Flats only in case, leave sleeping dogs lie.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    If it's not out, then they don't carry packers.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    I've never even seen a brisket at Costco here in Canada.  Or pork butts for that matter.  :(

[Insert SadFace Here]
    [Insert clever signature line here]
  • KiterTodd
    cazzy said:
    If it's not out, then they don't carry packers.
    Bummer.  Thanks.  I was hoping there was an inside tip to get an untrimmed whole here.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,168
    For that kind of money, you might as well order a SRF brisket. 
  • KiterTodd
    For that kind of money, you might as well order a SRF brisket. 
    No ****.  I figured SRF was out of my price range, but looked after reading your post and a shipped and aged "Double R Ranch Beef Brisket" would cost $7 to $10 per pound, depending on the weight of the cut.  So yeah, that's the same price or cheaper than my Costco.

I'm still not sure how they can ship something via standard shipping, for $10, and have it arrive still frozen 3-4 days later.  If so, I'm sold.   If I have to pay the $40-$80 charge for expedited shipping...maybe not so much.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to give them a call.

LBGE/Maryland
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,168
    They pack it in a cooler with dry ice. It's a two day shipment to Georgia. Do yourself a favor and buy two to get their discount. They had free shipping so it was $115 for each brisket. I just checked and the one I have left is 13.62 lbs. That's $8.44/lb. 
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    BRush00 said:
    I've never even seen a brisket at Costco here in Canada.  Or pork butts for that matter.  :(

[Insert SadFace Here]
    Why even have a meat department?
    NOLA
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    KiterTodd said:
    I stopped in Costco today and all they had in the case were brisket flats up to 6 lbs.  ($8.99/lbs)   :cow: 

When you guys get whole packers, do you ask them to pull it from the back or is this store dependent?   I didn't see points so I'm not sure if they use that cut for something else.

I know, I could have asked a guy but the place was a zoo today and I was in a rush.  I did grab my pork shoulders and a huge bag of chicken wings for the weekend, though.  ;)
    As others have said, not all Costcos carry packer briskets. You didn't say where you live, but you can try Walmart Super Stores - the ones around here carry packer briskets. Also, check to see if you have a Restaurant Depot store near you  - they always carry packer briskets - bough one there last week for $3.49/pound (USDA Choice, Angus ones were a little more expensive).  You need a free membership card but you either have to be a business or join the Kansas City BBQ Society.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • nysportsfan
    nysportsfan Posts: 241
    Went to BJ's Wholesale today and did not see any full packers out. Ask the guy in the back and he brought me one. Worth an ask. 
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    They have a ton here is Austin...under $4/lb
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    Bought a Prime Brisket packer at Costco yesterday in Dallas for 3.39 a pound. Great price if you ask me. 
    McKinney, TX
  • aukerns08
    aukerns08 Posts: 253
    Last week my Costco had whole packers so I bought 3.  This week they only had flats...  It's hit or miss in Northern VA.
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Here in Albuquerque Costco doesn't carry packers just crappy looking flats. I've had a hard time finding good brisket here 
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    I wonder if it's possible for those of you in brisket desert areas to talk to the Costco store manager and see if they can order a case since they're carried elsewhere.  You could do a local prime brisket group buy with local eggheads
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    I've only seen them once at Costco here in Salt Lake City.  It was so rare I had to take a pic and send it to all of my bbq friends.
  • KiterTodd
    Thanks, I'll definitely ask next time I'm in.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    My Costco only carries flats as well. I go to a Butcher shop in Detroit to get my packers. 
    Dearborn MI