Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I can't keep the temp under 300

Options
Hey guys.  Sorry I haven't posted in a while.  I've been dealing with some deaths in the family ect and haven't had time for much egging or anything else.  Yesterday I was trying to smoke a butt but I couldn't keep the temp under 300.  At 225 I closed the bottom vent down to a credit card width and had the daisy wheel barely open at the top.  After I thought the temp had stabilized at 250 I added the meat and walked away for two hours.  I came back and it was over 300.  There really wasn't any room to close the vents anymore than I already had.  Could it be that my gasket needs replacing?  I ordered a Rutland and some permatex copper ultra on Amazon at work today.  Also all of my bolts are tightened but there was a good amount of smoke coming out the sides and back. 
1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 

Comments

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Sorry to hear about the deaths in the family..I think you have answered your own question with the smoke coming out the sides and back...I am sure the Rutland will solve the problem..Good luck.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Good chance that replacing the gasket and realigning the done afterwards will fix it right up. Need any help just do a search on the forum for gasket replacement. Still having trouble come on back and ask away we aren't going anywhere.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    I figured as much.  I guess eventually you just have to break down and replace a gasket.  Thanks guys. 

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Calibrate thermometer and or light less lump  
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Too bad you resorted to Amazon - I know a "guy" who could have fixed you up with it cheaper and provides instructions to boot!  B)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    "Also all of my bolts are tightened but there was a good amount of smoke coming out the sides and back."

That tells you that it is probably your gasket. 

I have not had a gasket for years and rarely see any smoke leak out so your options are probably to get rid of your gasket completely - or replace it.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    The gasket is certainly a possibility. Which Rutland did you order? The one you want is 5/8" wide flat (not rope). As I recall, 84" for a large. Ron sells it in specific lengths depending on what size egg you have.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Grillin_beers
    Options
    @rrp I actually did think of contacting you.. However I'm having 45 people over for Memorial Day so I needed the 2 day shipping.  I hope I didn't offend you.  When I need to put one on my next egg I promise I will contact you. 

• Grillin_beers
    Options
    I forgot to mention that I just Calibrated my thermometer when I ran into this issue.

• RRP
    Options
    @rrp I actually did think of contacting you.. However I'm having 45 people over for Memorial Day so I needed the 2 day shipping.  I hope I didn't offend you.  When I need to put one on my next egg I promise I will contact you. 
    You didn't offend me. The Permatex needs 24 hours to cure and can not be rushed. Good luck!
  • Grillin_beers
    Options
    @rrp you mean don't cook on the egg for 24 hours? 

• RRP
    Options
    @rrp you mean don't cook on the egg for 24 hours? 
    That's correct! I received that technical advice from the manufacturer. It hardens to the touch in an hour but the cure is a chemical cure which needs 24 hours. Heat does not speed the curing. I know of one case in particular where a guy only waited 12 hours and the Permatex failed.
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    If it is too close and you can't wait the 24 hours, just go naked (no gasket) and install the Rutland after when you have more time. 
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    A new Rutland and alignment should fix your issues.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• RRP
    Options
    4Runner said:
    If it is too close and you can't wait the 24 hours, just go naked (no gasket) and install the Rutland after when you have more time. 
    I agree 100% - when done properly it will last for many years!  So why blow through the effort quickly cutting corners which is a guarantee for failure?