Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another attempt at beer can burgers

Options
DieselkW
DieselkW Posts: 894
Burgers are easy, right? I cooked Thanksgiving turkey on my Large, I fed two dozen people at a party last summer from my large. How hard can beer can burgers be?

Well, my first attempt was awful. Instructed to cook indirect at 300 for an hour.
Well, after an hour the bacon was still uncooked, and the beef was 190f - we took the bacon off and ate crappy overcooked burgers stuffed with really good mushrooms and onions.

I decided this time to pre-cook the bacon about halfway - 30 minutes in a 250f oven on parchment.
Dusted two half pound portions of 80/20 ground with my own mixture of beef rub.  I used a narrow can to keep some thickness all around - again trying to keep the beef from overcooking.
I poured some bacon grease into the burger well, and then a quarter inch of A-1 sauce. That might will keep the beef from drying out. Caramelized red onions on the sauce, topped with herb-garlic cheese from Rondolet.
I'll sauteé some mushrooms and make a beef gravy to top the burgers when they're done.

I had to use toothpicks to keep the partially cooked bacon on the burger, set the egg up for indirect 300f.

Pictures won't load right now - I'll try to post some in the comments. Dinner in an hour....

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

Comments

• DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options

Better than last time, pulled them at 40 minutes, still got to the wrong side of medium on me, but the bacon was much better this time, and if I had been watching closer I could have pulled them at about 35 minutes.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically.