Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

new to the site and I have a couple questions

Options
HI all, 
My name is Mark,  I live in southern California and I may be having an egg issue soon. I've been bbq in for a lot of yrs , started smoking with an electric then switches to a stick Burner and modified it to a reverse flow .. i love it!.  Like most of you I've got a collection of bbq s in the yard and my wife is after me to consolidate lol! Only you guys will understand .. I tell her I need them all for specific things.  So I've boiled it down to a 36" lang hyphenate (in Georgia, $600 for shipping and 6 weeks out) or a  LG BGE .  The lang is a reverse flow and it weighs 800lbs , the egg is 200ish but awkward to move.  
I looked for a search option on the site but couldn't find it so I apologize if advance if this has been asked already.  
I know the egg has a nest but it seems hard to move into a trailer or across something that's not cement. 
I've been at bbq galore looking at the bge twice this week and reading this site. I know it does it all and it does it really good from low and slow to 800°+ and pizza ! I think I'm leaning to the egg.  
How do you guys travel them for camping ? can the insides travel inside the bge?
Can you do thanks giving plus the fixings in a LG (20 lbs turkey ).
How many racks if ribs can you do at one time ?
Thank you again for accepting my request 
Mark 

Comments

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    So, you would hitch up the Lang and take it camping??

Here is a mod that some industrious individual came up with... 

As for moving it ... 
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/346469/wheels-on-egg-nest-upgrade-options 
  • jackpunx
    jackpunx Posts: 8
    Options
    The lang has a hitch set up , but also has a table set up with large wheels.  So I'd roll it into the garage on my 5th wheel.  I just figured out how to get out of the Mobil mode on the site so I was able to search some tables.  
    I'm pretty sure I'm going with the bge , you guys have many roundups and a bit of a culture. I like that and you guys have festival s! 
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @jackpunx  ... I'm only too sure your gonna get quite a bit of feedback on your question - let me take you in a different direction.

If your close enough, EggFest 2015 'Smokin' it So Cal Style' is coming up in a few short weeks. It's located in Upland.

Barbeques' Galore is ok, but you need to see an Egg in action, real action. All your questions will then be answered. 

Here's a link www.socaleggfest.com/
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • jackpunx
    Options
    Thank you , I've talked to my wife about the deal in upland , they said to go and order a Demo.  We are going for sure But now I'm pretty excited so I looked on Craigs list and found a LG with all the goodies for 800.  
  • jackpunx
    Options
    onedbguru said:
    So, you would hitch up the Lang and take it camping??

Here is a mod that some industrious individual came up with... 

As for moving it ... 
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/346469/wheels-on-egg-nest-upgrade-options 
    I just saw a pic with large castor s which looks great.  Do you think the insides will travel or would you take it apart ?   Thank you 
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    If I travelled with it, I would at least put some styrofoam between all of the parts.  While the warranty is lifetime, it is doubtful it would cover constant travelling without proper precautions to ensure it doesn't get broken in transit.
  • jackpunx
    Options
    onedbguru said:
    If I travelled with it, I would at least put some styrofoam between all of the parts.  While the warranty is lifetime, it is doubtful it would cover constant travelling without proper precautions to ensure it doesn't get broken in transit.
    Thank you, one other question is ... if I cooked the night before would it cool down enough to handle it  over night?
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    jackpunx said:
    Thank you , I've talked to my wife about the deal in upland , they said to go and order a Demo.  We are going for sure But now I'm pretty excited so I looked on Craigs list and found a LG with all the goodies for 800.  
    Craigslist = no warranty. No bueno amigo. 

It's not if you have a crack, it's when. That's the reason we buy new. If craigslist you want less than 50% retail at the most. 
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    Demo Egg will have warranty. CL one won't. 
    GWN
  • jackpunx
    Options
    I didn't realize there was a warranty for anything other then workmanship.  what does it cover?  And do you think the demos they sell at the egg fest will come with warranty? 
    Thank you.  I didn't even think about a warranty for a ceramic product 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Lifetime on ceramics. Not sure off the top of my head on bands. Thinking 1 yr. someone will chime in. The ceramics is the deal. Keep/scan receipt and register with the mothership. 

yes demo carries full warranty
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    bands are 3 yrs. I've heard of people putting several wedges or cardboard between parts and sides.

LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Go egg. Warranty is awesome, just keep your papers together. My problem was fixed via email and images from the phone. Only questions asked was how soon do I need them.
    In my case, that is why I will always own an egg.
    great product.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    Options
    jackpunx said:
    onedbguru said:
    Thank you, one other question is ... if I cooked the night before would it cool down enough to handle it  over night?
    Over night should be enough to cool the egg down to transport it. I would also consider a Kick Ash Basket if you are traveling though, to take the leftover lump out and dump it just to be sure.

http://www.kickashbasket.com/store/

Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • So Cal EGGhead
    Options
    I love the forum!  You guys are all so informative.  I talked to Mark and I think he is leaning towards the XL egg.  It's a bit rough to move onto a 5th wheel, but it can be done.  You would have to secure it inside to one of the walls, and I recommend removing the internal portions to protect them from bouncing around and cracking.  Although there warranty is great, they have a team that can spot things that are not "naturally caused."

The demo is truly the best deal out there.  Great price, warranty included and slightly cured. 
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @grege345 ... bands and other metal pieces are 5 years ... it's the Eggcessories (dumb name) that are 3 years:

• Warranty on Big Green Egg Components: Click here for details
      • Ceramic components, including dome, base, fire box and fire ring – Limited Lifetime Warranty to original purchaser from Authorized Dealer
      • Ceramic EGGcessories, including ConvEGGtor and Pizza/Baking Stones – 3 Year Warranty
      • Metal Components, including EGG band, stainless steel cooking grid, cast iron  charcoal grate and EGG Nest – 5 Year Warranty
      • Temperature Gauge – 1 Year Warranty

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• jackpunx
    Options
    Thank you guys for all the info and thank you for the call.  Still deciding on XL or L  , but I came up with a plan.  After doing some reading we will probably only travel it a few trips a yr (mainly thanks giving and Christmas )  those are our longer trips and big groups.  I usually end up with a grill , a smoker, deep frier  and a couple Dutch ovens.   Love cooking for everyone.  
    I told my wife that I was gonna rebuild my current stick burner and use that for most of our trips or when I need extra space.  Her goals and mine are different. Lol.  She expected me to get rid of everything when we get the egg cause it does it all.  But I am having a hard time with that... just because lol 

Let's chat again this weekend if you have the time @So Cal EGGhead  and hopefully I'll be able to make a commitment  on the size
    Thanks in advance 
    Mark 
  • So Cal EGGhead
    Options
    I will be in the store again tomorrow,  I will give you a call.  Again, the forum is always a good tool for questions.  The knowledge here is unmatched. 
  • jackpunx
    Options
    @So Cal EGGhead , so I talked to my wife , we are gonna come to the destination and see the sizes in action before Committing , I'll message you so that we can meet in person at the fest