Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT:Vancouver, BC - Where to go?

Options
DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
So I'm going to be in Vancouver this week, looks like I might have Wednesday night open. Any restaurants to try?
They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• Northvaneggman
    Options
    What kind of food are you looking to try? There are some top notch restaurants here. Seafood? Japanese? Indian? Does $$$ play into it?
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Just go to @Skiddymarker's house.   =)

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    For a PA boy, you're a long way from home. Monday is a holiday here, Victoria Day, always the week before Memorial Day. Will not be around this week, otherwise would have you over to kick off your shoes and enjoy a Red Racer from our local craft beer palace. 
    Not much Q in Vancouver, but there are some terrific eateries. If you are staying downtown, Black and Blue serves a fantastic steak. 
    The Asian influence in Vancouver is almost overwhelming, meaning there are some world class restaurants, lots of seafood options. Tourist oriented so often expensive. 
    Latest reviews from our local rag....
    http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2015/02/19/best-restaurants-in-metro-vancouver/

Have a great trip...

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • DMW
    Options
    Thanks @Skiddymarker
    I'm not sure what kind of food I'll be in the mood for by Wednesday, it will probably depend on what I've had already so far this week. I love Asian food and also seafood, so that might be the direction I go.

@Northvaneggman - $$$ does play in to it a bit. I'm traveling on an expense account, so I don't have to settle for cheap, but I can't get too crazy. Or maybe I can, I did expense dinner at Del Frisco's in NYC last week...

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    There is a China town on the down town east side, but IMO the real Chinese centre is in Richmond, No. 3 Road, just south of the airport. We only go with Taiwanese (Mandarin speaking) friends, always a treat and never sure exactly what it is I have just enjoyed. Are you staying downtown?
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • DMW
    Options
    @Skiddymarker I'll be at the Vancouver Convention Centre during the days and I'm staying at:

EXECUTIVE HOTEL VINAddress: 1379 HOWE STREET
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Nsdexter
    Nsdexter Posts: 195
    Options
    I was a huge fan of a few pubs in gastown
    HFX NS
  • Northvaneggman
    Options
    For Seafood: Blue Water Cafe and Rodney's Oyster House are great. If you feel like Sushi, Miku (near the convention centre) and Miku in Yaletown are both excellent. 
  • Skiddymarker
    edited May 2015
    Options
    For Seafood: Blue Water Cafe and Rodney's Oyster House are great. If you feel like Sushi, Miku (near the convention centre) and Miku in Yaletown are both excellent. 
    I was going to suggest he take a trip across to your side of the bridge and check out the Tomahawk.....a Skookumchuck burger would look good on DMW. not classy, but definitely memorable!
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    @Northvanegger - go to this link and add your postal code, will bring us to 6 in BC, tied with those in Alberta.....
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1166509/where-is-everyone/p30

• DMW
    Options
    @Skiddymarker @Northvaneggman How is The Flying Pig? Looking for late dinner.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    Been to TFP in Gastown, once, had steelhead - it was just fine, was there early evening. Gastown is safe place to be, very touristy this time of year, the Downtown East Side is going thru the same gentrification as NYC Lower East Side did a few years ago. That's why TFP and others are moving in.
  • DMW
    Options
    We went to TFP. I had the red wine braised short rib served with bone marrow and mashed potatoes. Had crème brulé for dessert. Absolutely perfect. 

Seafood tomorrow for sure.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Northvaneggman
    Options
    Sorry about the weather today.
  • DMW
    Options
    Sorry about the weather today.
    You mean the sunny no wind perfect weather? I'll take weather like this any time.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Northvaneggman
    Options
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    @DMW - Glad you had a good time, sorry for the partial hijack here. With respect to the weather, what happens here stays here, kinda like Vegas, we tell everyone it rains all the time and looking pruny is cool, please respect the myth as it is getting crowded.

@Northvaneggman - now if we could just get that bicycle riding granola crunching @VANcouverEGG to register, we could take our rightful place one step ahead of Alberta.  =)
  • Nsdexter
    Nsdexter Posts: 195
    Options
    For a really good meal try the japanesse hotdog guy
    HFX NS
  • Northvaneggman
    Options
    Great point @Skiddymarker let's keep it quiet about what YVR weather is all about. 
    @DMW did you lock down a restaurant for tonight?  What convention are you at?
    @Nsdexter Japadog is a great call!!
  • DMW
    Options
    @Northvaneggman - Nothing decided for tonight, there might be a dinner event. I'm attending OpenStack Summit.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• VANcouverEGG
    VANcouverEGG Posts: 173
    Options
    Granola crunching eh. Ha:) Having a problem with that map thing. V6G 1L2
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    What about the guy who won Iron Chef? He had a restaurant downtown. Can't think of his name right now but it's not Michael Smith.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Northvaneggman
    Options
    Rob Feenie. Used to have a great French restaurant called Lumiere. Left it after a battle with his biz partners. He is now the food concept architect at Cactus Club. 
  • Northvaneggman
    Options
    Tojo's is the sushi place to try if you want to "test" your meal expense policy at your company. 
  • Northvaneggman
    Options
    Chambar would be a great choice if you want moules et frites with some kickass Belgian beer. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Granola crunching eh. Ha:) Having a problem with that map thing. V6G 1L2
    @tkleager - here is another one from the left coast....Thanks! 
  • Skiddymarker
    Options

Rob Feenie. Used to have a great French restaurant called Lumiere. Left it after a battle with his biz partners. He is now the food concept architect at Cactus Club. 
    Now he is executive chef for the Cactus Club, n'est pas?
  • VANcouverEGG
    Options
    Check out Alibi room for fantastic bc beers and atmosphere. Rent a bike and ride around stanley park. Take skytrain and walk up and down commercial drive. Stop at BierCraft and get tasty mussels. Visit antique shops on main street. Don't worry about food. We're not that great. Just eat and explore. Try renting a bike, but avoid the granola. 
  • VANcouverEGG
    Options
    Welcome to our little haven. Normally it rains like mad and we have to form igloos after september.