Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous Vide Cooking and the Big Green Egg

Options
I've been curious about Sous Vide cooking for years. Then Lake Conroe Egger got one and told us about it. That got my curious juices going again. Then Misippi Egger got one and bragged about a couple of his cooks. That was it. I had to have one. So I dropped a couple of hints in the right place and got one for my sixty-fourteenth birthday a few days back.

Needless to say, I wanted something I could mix and match the Sous Vide with my Big Green Egg. So I bought a $25 Pound and half Prime Ribeye at H.E.B. for my first cook.

It took me a while to make a video of it but here it is.

https://youtu.be/YsuRcRvUn9s

If you're even thinking about getting a Sous Vide Immersion Water Cooker, hang around and watch me try a couple of other cooks. But right now, I think I'll eventually get the hang of it. And, of course, I will post about it.

Spring "Almost Always In Hot Water About Something" Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• Hokie_Smoker
    Hokie_Smoker Posts: 662
    Options
    Great looking cook. I've been wanting a sous vide myself, this inspires me to spend more money.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Looks good Leroy. I've been a big fan of the poor man's Sous Vide of just using hot tap water in a small compact cooler. But I do just the reverse - water first for an hour and then sear on the egg. I wonder if it really makes any difference.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    Looks tasty! Like RRP, I sous vide then sear. I'm guessing that the crust from the sear stays "crustier" by finishing with the sear but maybe not. 
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    I really don’t know if it makes a difference searing before or after, have always gone the reverse method, sear after the bath. Searing after, I have noticed that seasoning in the bath does not seem to make much difference with meat cuts. Must admit, seldom use the egg to do the sear unless it is on for some other reason. After coming out of the water bath, usual treatment is either torch or hot CI pan over a burner. Almost always served with a board sauce. 
    Trip-Tip is also good, in the SV for up to 4 hours at 135ºF and then finish like a steak. 
    When searing after SV, dry the surface to speed the browning. 

Two of our favourite veggie Trés Booblay cooks are carrots and brussel sprouts. Little bacon fat, some seasoning and butter, cook for an hour or so at 86ºC (187ºF) and then finish on the egg to brown and caramelize the outside.

Nice review of a fine looking steak, thanks for sharing. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!