Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salmon on a Plank

Options
SmokingPiney
SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
A quick cook for this evening's meal. Soaked the planks for a couple of hours in salted water. A light coat of olive oil over the fish and dusted with Tsunami Spin and Mediterraneanish. Dried one side of the planks for a minute over the coals, flipped and coated the planks with olive oil. 400 raised direct for 15 minutes. 

It smoked quite a bit on the cook, and I was worried the planks were on fire. They weren't and they're in good enough condition to get at least one more cook out of them. 

I couldn't stay out of them when they came off the Egg. They're delicious, and I'm one happy Egghead.  =)

South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 

Comments

• beachsmoke
    beachsmoke Posts: 644
    Options
    nice job looks fantastic
    Large egg panhandle of florida
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    @beachsmoke    Thanks! 

I was worried that the cedar smoke would overwhelm the taste of the salmon, but it didn't. It was subtle and just right. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Bentgrass
    Bentgrass Posts: 443
    Options
    Doing the same thing tonight- do you flip them one time while on the plank ?
    1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    @Bentgrass - no flip. Just pull the whole plank when internal temp is 135 in the thickest part. You can serve it right from the plank. 

It's an easier cook than making burgers.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Bentgrass
    Bentgrass Posts: 443
    Options
    Just got done devouring... Turned out great.  Used a honey glaze with garlic and really was good.  Made up some golden Klondike potatoes with pepper and garlic on them in a pan on the egg while prepping the salmon.  It is the easiest cook you ever want.
    1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.
  • TN2TX
    TN2TX Posts: 298
    Options
    Any reason you salted the water for the planks? We do salmon on planks all the time so I'm up for anything. 
    Dallas, TX
  • SJ21XDC
    SJ21XDC Posts: 235
    Options
    Looks Great!  This is up next on my list to try!

XL & Mini-Max

Chattanooga, TN

• SmokingPiney
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @TN2TX I read somewhere here about salting the water when soaking the planks. Truth be told, I don't think it made a difference.

@Bentgrass No flip. They cooked evenly. Your cook looks great!