Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Royal Oak Vs Rockwood Redux

Options
jaydub58
jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
Per the thread of a little bit ago, I do see some preference For RW.
However, right now, Bi Mart, an employee-owned discount store chain here in the NW is selling Royal Oak for $9.97 per 17.6 lb bag.
Now RW may be superior, but it's sure not double price superior!

NW eggers, awake! 
John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon

Comments

500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    Got 4 bags for that price at Home Depot last week. 
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Dang, I miss Bi-Mart. I bought many a gun there when I lived in Roseburg. 
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    jaydub58 said:
    Royal Oak for $9.97 per 17.6 lb bag.
    Now RW may be superior, but it's sure not double price superior!

NW eggers, awake! 
    Actually it is 
    Jacksonville FL
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Bye Felicia.....

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    I'm on my first bag of rockwood...its pretty damn good.
    Seattle, WA
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    I may get some RO for my clean burns.  Feel bad doing those with RW.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I feel the same way @johnkitchens.  If I'm gonna drop good coin on a grill/smoker I will drop the coin to feed it the best lump I can find. RW has my vote. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Not just the grill but the food too.  If I'm cooking a $60 brisket the RO would save me $3.06 over the cook duration.  Thats not worth it to me.

Don't tell @stlcharcoal though.  He might get the wrong idea and raise prices.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Mattman3969
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm am with you @ozzie_Isaac. Eggin ain't cheap!!  Some people like RO for it taste and I'm sure price helps with that decision.  I guess I'm a lump snob and need counseling. IDK 

The bags of OO that I got from @henapple & @letz4wheel were the exception to cheaper is better.  

analyze adapt overcome

• nth78
    nth78 Posts: 154
    Options
    Closest place to me that sells Rockwood is over an hour away.   My local choices are royal oak at Home Depot, Frontier at Lowes, BGE from my dealer, or Cowboy from Walmart.
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    nth78 said:
    Closest place to me that sells Rockwood is over an hour away.   My local choices are royal oak at Home Depot, Frontier at Lowes, BGE from my dealer, or Cowboy from Walmart.
    Firecraft.com will ship it to your front door for free if you order at least $99 of anything they offer. That is how I get mine. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    nth78 said:
    If those are your options Royal Oak is the best of the bunch.  Just let the VOCs burn off.
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    Check out firecraft.com.  20ish per bag and free shipping if you buy $100 worth.  

My closest place is 2hrs away but I'm lucky enough that it is part of the territory that I cover for work.  Brought 5 bags home today because I just wasn't comfortable with only 6 bags in the garage.  Lol. 

analyze adapt overcome

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I use this stuff. I can get it at piggly wiggly everyday of the week. 12-6 on Sunday. 

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @Mattman3969 ... Firecraft bumped the price up to $21.95 per bag for RW.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Jeepster47
    Options
    @theyolksonyou ... you're like the crazy cousin who never goes away.  Not excited about the egg fest are you?

• Jeepster47
    Options
    What was the name of the lump that the folks around Chicago were using ... out of a restaurant supply I believe?

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    @theyolksonyou I can't tell a difference in lump or kingsford.

• theyolksonyou
    edited May 2015
    Options
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    @theyolksonyou ,,, ShopThe Pig!!
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    @Mattman3969 ... Firecraft bumped the price up to $21.95 per bag for RW.
    The ish should've covered that. LOL.  Still worth it.  

analyze adapt overcome

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I use this stuff. I can get it at piggly wiggly everyday of the week. 12-6 on Sunday. 

There was guy in front of me at the store this afternoon with a bag of that and a huge jug of lighter fluid.  It was like watching an tragedy waiting to happen.  I can't imagine how those burgers are going to taste, but it makes want to gag.  Nothing like putting petroleum on your petroleum.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    @stlcharcoal you should carry around business cards promising guys like that 1 free bag of RW.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    nth78 said:
    Make a trip and buy a year's worth of charcoal. It's not going to rot and probably won't get cheaper. 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    @stlcharcoal you should carry around business cards promising guys like that 1 free bag of RW.

I'm not one to give or accept unsolicited advice.  I would be too scared he'd dump that lighter fluid on it. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options

I'm not one to give or accept unsolicited advice. 
     AKA STFU 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    I was in RD today and they had a pallet of  twin pack 64oz bottles of Kingsford Lighter Fluid right by the checkout. Makes me not want to eat out. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options

I'm not one to give or accept unsolicited advice. 
     AKA STFU 
    :fearful: point taken