Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A few issues with the BGE recently and questions.

Options
ChillyWillis
ChillyWillis Posts: 893
edited May 2015 in EggHead Forum
around 2 weeks ago I realized I had a minor crack in the fire box. I tried to contact my dealer only to find that they aren't affiliated with BGE anymore. They directed me to another store in the area and that store replaced my first part with no questions asked. 

One week later (after a pizza cook and a clean burn for a low and slow) I noticed a major crack in the fire ring. There is no way I missed it before. My (new) 'dealer' is confident that everything will be processed well.... But I'm  worried.  I noticed that the crack on the fire box ran through a number that was printed on the outside of the ring that didn't comply with the original serial numbers on the egg. Also, I bought my egg later in 2013 which from what I understand is when they switched from the 5 dip ring (what I have) to the newer 3 dip ring. 

Im not worried about my spider (s$&@ happens) but will that problem cause issues for the warranty claim? I haven't heard from the business yet (which is slightly unordanary, the new guys are very quick) but it's the first serious crack that I've dealt with... And if my old dealer randomly tossed an older part into my egg, what do I do?

edit: obviously I don't want to show the photo with the numbers but this is what I'm dealing with. 

Comments

• Hunter1881
    Hunter1881 Posts: 406
    Options
    When my fire ring cracked I took a picture of the crack. Walked out with a new one. Didn't even realize they have numbers. 
    Henderson TN. 1 large BGE, 1 Webber Gasser (recently seems to have converted into a warming oven)
  • Hunter1881
    Hunter1881 Posts: 406
    Options
    And FWIW I have been cooking for months on mine with a crack just like that. 
    Henderson TN. 1 large BGE, 1 Webber Gasser (recently seems to have converted into a warming oven)
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I think the only serial number that matters is the one on the dome. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Mine was broken into pieces but it still "held together" until I was ready to replace.   I wouldn't replace until you are ready.  Also, my experience with BGE is once they processed 1 warranty claim from me, they have me on file and every claim since, I no longer have to show any proof of purchase serial numbers are irrelevant.   I think you will be fine.  Any issues with the dealer or any other dealer, just call the Mothership and they will take care of you.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Did the original dealer start selling a new brand of cooker or just get out of it altogether? I noticed one of our dealers here began selling primo's. They still had eggs, too, but kinda thought it odd. Are there a lot of dealers out there that sell more than one brand of ceramic cookers?

Little Rock, AR

• ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @Biggreenpharmacist they sold promos and BGEs when I bought it, and the salesman tried hard to change my mind and buy a primo. Probably why they no longer sell eggs now. 

Glad to hear there shouldn't be an issue.