Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Ballad of My First Pulled Pork...

Options
DCahill
DCahill Posts: 23
Hello friends,

Thanks to all your advice on these forums, I did my first pulled pork this weekend on the BGE.   It wasn't a perfect cook as you'll see below, but it turned out great in the end, thanks to your help.  I know pulled pork is a relatively easy thing to do compared to say a brisket, but it was my first time doing a low and slow, so I feel good about the result.  Thanks again!

1.  Got a 9.26-lb shoulder from my local butcher.  Nice

2.  Rubbed it the night before.   Sugar in the raw, salt, pepper, paprika, cumin

3.  Started prepping the BGE Saturday around 2:30.  Cleaned it out, loaded it with lump and soaked (uh-oh) apple chunks.   Had a nice steady ~250 on it for a good 45 min and put the shoulder on there at 4:15.    Set my Maverick and watched it like a hawk the rest of the afternoon/evening.

4.  Before I start with "the trouble," here is a headshot of Tony Danza for some reason:

5.  Went to bed at 1am with a nice steady 265 grill temp and a meat temp rising accordingly (140 or so).    I didn't set any kind of alarm, which I should have...

6.  Woke up at 6am and the Maverick tells me that at some point during the last 5 hours, my BGE went out.  Grill temp now at 135 and lowering.   I think my exact words were: "GAH!".

I race down and check things out.   It had been raining all night, but I think the problem was my soaked chunks which I had put throughout the lump.   Anyway, the pork was nice and warm so I wrapped it in foil and checked my time.  Guests arriving for mother's day at 11am so ...

7.  I switched to a pseudo-Turbo Mode.   Get the BGE up to 350 and put the foiled pork back on.   It cooks for a few hours like that and things are looking good:

8.  (why did I number these?) I pull it out and give it the FTC treatment until just before 11.     That technique is just amazing!  I can't believe how warm it keeps everything.   

9.   Pull it just as guests are arriving.  There was much rejoicing:

Overall, it was very good and moist if even a bit over in some parts.    While the pork was resting, I did some chicken drumsticks and MAN were those good too.   The is the best cooking product I've ever owned. 

Thanks again to all the helpful advice in this forum!

-- Dave
Western Springs, IL    Large BGE

Comments